Glycerine Rivers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I admit I clicked the link thinking.. 'yeah, I've heard all the reasons and yet none of them have enough testing to back up'.. but by golly I think she is right!

I too have noticed a decrease in my rivers, even though I still use TD as much as before. BUT.. I have also been using a 33% lye now for the past 6 months or so. Interesting I thought.
BUT.. then I thought to myself, wait a minute, my mom's recent soap had rivers all through it. Beautiful I think with the color combo I did and they ended up very nice, but rivers none the less. Decided to look at that recipe and what do you know, it's a 27% I did because I needed swirl time. Very interesting article! :)

One curious thing is why all the bars don't have it. Didn't pay attention but my guess is the ones without are maybe close to the ends of the mold.
And also the white doesn't have it? hmmm

mothers day sensual amber.jpg

Last edited:
thanks so much for posting that link, it is very useful and an interesting read.
what she said truly made sense because 2 days before i just made a batch where i was using more water than my usual 2:1. i've not had rivers for quite some time but suddenly i got it again with that batch. the soap did contain honey, which was a heater.

i've not go down to 1.4:1 (water:lye) yet, but i think i can try, perhaps increasing a bit.

"triple kudos" to you on a great topic and valuable information. it really de-mystify the whole Glycerin phenomenon and makes it more controllable. great read , i think one of the best things i read for the year .

Glad you all found it interesting ... I need to make some pretty soaps to test the theory out! Seems to make sense and the photo of her log is hard to dispute.

^^^ you were right, the photo of her log is hard to dispute.

i did see in the comments section, 1 or 2 seemed to question her findings. then again, the photo speaks for itself (at least for me). i use TD quite a lot, almost in every batch, so this is important for me. i'm only a bit nervous about soaping with such a steep water discount. i think it can be a bit tricky when doing swirls and using certain additives. less water def cuts playing time.

Wow! Pretty convincing article. Thanks for sharing. Will consider a water discount next time I plan on a lot of TD use and see what happens.

very very interesting! I haven't gotten to that much water discount yet, but I make mostly milk soap..... i'll have to try it one of these days. thanks for sharing the article!

Latest posts

Back