Glycerin soap/Glycerin in soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flutter

Reaction score
Two questions ...

Can you make your own translucent glycerin soap, or is there only the M&P option for this?

Can you use vegetable glycerin in a soap recipe. I have some that I use for other things and wondered if I could use it in soap too.

Yes, you can make your own. And vegetable glycerin works just fine. There are a couple of recipes for (what apparently is referred to as) made from scratch MP over in the MP forum. The homemade version won't be crystal clear, but it's fun to do.

Yes, you can make your own. And vegetable glycerin works just fine. There are a couple of recipes for (what apparently is referred to as) made from scratch MP over in the MP forum. The homemade version won't be crystal clear, but it's fun to do.
Cool, I will try to find that, thanks!

As for using vegetable glycerin; add it at trace I guess?

No, for transparent/translucent soaps the glycerin is added as one of the solvents. For just adding it to regular soap, sure, add at trace. Just don't use too much or you'll have sweaty, sticky soap.

ETA: Here's the recipe/method I used for the first batch of clear I tried. I like that it gives the proportions for the solvents, so you can modify pretty much any soap recipe to turn it into glycerin soap.

http://curious-soapmaker.com/how-to-make-transparent-soap.html

Besides transparent soap, you can also use it in shaving soaps, liquid soaps, lotions and aftershaves.

There's really no actual need to add glycerin to a regular/normal CP or HP batch since glycerin is a natural by-product of saponification (generally produces about 13% or so on average, if I remember rightly), but it helps to sustain lather in shaving soaps- the kind made for use with a shaving brush (I add 20% ppo to mine for this purpose). It's also a major component of my handmade liquid soap (I use it as part of my water amount).

You can also use it to mix your powdered colorants before adding to your soap batter. I find it to be wonderful for this purpose.

IrishLass :)

No, for transparent/translucent soaps the glycerin is added as one of the solvents. For just adding it to regular soap, sure, add at trace. Just don't use too much or you'll have sweaty, sticky soap.

ETA: Here's the recipe/method I used for the first batch of clear I tried. I like that it gives the proportions for the solvents, so you can modify pretty much any soap recipe to turn it into glycerin soap.

is this gentle on skin? I am looking for a Glycerin soap that is not drying, please.

Kittish, I tried the link and the domain has expired.

Back