Getting Soap to Gel Properly

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blue_soda025

Reaction score
I live in Vancouver and the weather is cooling down drastically, so that makes it difficult to gel my soaps properly. Even if I use the loaf molds and insulate with a towel it's still seemingly not enough to create enough heat to gel my soaps.

I also tried doing the CPOP, but I think my oven runs hotter than what the temperature dials say. I'm going to buy an oven thermometer soon so I can calibrate it better, but one thing that's bugging me about the oven process is that most resources I've read say to turn then oven up to 160-170 F and from my understanding a lot of fragrance oils have a low flashpoint of ~140 F. Wouldn't putting the soap in the oven at such high temps make the scents disappear?

That happened to one of my recent batches of soap, I think, but it had mostly EOs in it. The EOs faded dramatically but the FO seemed to stick slightly better (but still faded I think). There was also a lot of sweating on the top surface. I assume it overheated but at least it gelled. Yet I've tried putting in other batches in the oven at similar temperatures without them looking like they gelled so I'm getting confused. I just want my soaps to gel without sweating the fragrances out and losing scents. Anyone have any good tips for how to gel soaps in colder climates?

If your oven runs too hot you can try preheating it to the lowest possible setting you have then turn it off and put your soap in then. That way it's in a nice and cozy environment. As far as the flashpoint, that's the temperature that an oil will actually combust if exposed to a flame or spark.

I don't work with many EOs but I know a lot of people anchor them with clays to help the fragrance stick. Im sure someone with experience will chime in on that.

How much fragrance/EO are you using PPO and which ones?

You could decide not to gel. However, if you CPOP in a low oven or preheat your mold, it shouldn't compromise your fragrance. Gel is about 160-170 degrees, same as the oven.

I gel most of my soaps and the scent sticks fine.

I use a heating pad, Shoppers drug mart sells a long one that holds 4 molds, love it..

I am not too far south of you, and having the same issue. I have been putting my soaps in the oven, without turning it on at all. That has been working for me :) It isn't CPOP, but kind of insulating the soap like a box and towels would. At least that has been my experience.

I'm from Vancouver, and was living there when I started soap making. My soaps always gelled but I did use heavy blankets and newspapers. I laid several layers of newspapers under the moulds and used a heavy wool blanket around the whole thing!
Now I'm in a place with much colder winters (-15) and very hot humid summers (40) and I find the variations in ambient pressure and temperature a PITA for consistent results.
I have a tendency to prefer ungelled when the temperature drops! Too much work combatting the leaky drafty icy flat.

I use 1 tbsp fragrance per lb of soap.

I have tried putting it in the oven without turning it on but I don't think it gelled.. but then those were cupcake soaps so I don't know if it would work for a loaf mold.
A heating pad is a good idea! Never thought of that. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Sometimes the oven works with the light on, but the heating pad works every time..

I am in Wisconsin and keep my house fairly cool during our long winters. I've found the best results by turning on the oven for just a minute or so until the temp is just above room temp, I'd guess around 90° F. Then I put the soap in, turn the oven off, and turn on the interior light. Sometimes it takes a bit of time to reach full gel, but things generally don't overheat either. I get more consistent results than any other gelling method.

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

It's hot here, but I keep the a/c really cold, so I use a heating pad. I put the soap-filled mold on the heating pad, cover with a lid or a box, then insulate with towels. Sometimes I also preheat my mold.

You should be measuring your EO/FO by weight as a percentage of your recipe. If you use a soap calc there is a space to put in your EO/FO amt you desire. I've never used a TBSP or tsp to measure so not sure how it would compare. I live in Michigan and we keep our house pretty cool during the winter but I just insulate my molds with several towels and always get gel though since I soap at RT sometime it take it quite a while to get there.

How long do you leave the heating pad on for? I'm worried about possibly overheating since I have had that happen before in the summer even though I didn't insulate it that much.

It's hot here, but I keep the a/c really cold, so I use a heating pad. I put the soap-filled mold on the heating pad, cover with a lid or a box, then insulate with towels. Sometimes I also preheat my mold.

Hello! Like PinkCupcake, I also use a heating pad/mat and also cover with a few towels. It is important to preheat the mold first for you will lose a lot of batter heat pouring into a cold mold. After pouring I leave the mat on for about a half hour and then turn it off. The heat will stay for several hours afterward. Be careful for some FO's such as spices and florals can over heat so you may not have to leave the mat on too long.

For safety sake you can plug the mat into a timer to shut off after a half hour or so. You don't want to forget about turning it off. This can happen if your attention is directed elsewhere while the mat is on.

Good advice, Glenn! I set a timer so that I will remember to turn the heating pad off. I don't really use a lot of ingredients that are prone to overheating, so I haven't had any problems yet. And I keep the heating pad set to medium.

Crazy! Mine always gel! I have such a hard time getting them NOT to. I just pour and set them on the counter - no insulation or anything and they usually gel no problem. I do soap around 100 degrees, but usually not more than that. No additives either.

I am in Wisconsin and keep my house fairly cool during our long winters. I've found the best results by turning on the oven for just a minute or so until the temp is just above room temp, I'd guess around 90° F. Then I put the soap in, turn the oven off, and turn on the interior light. Sometimes it takes a bit of time to reach full gel, but things generally don't overheat either. I get more consistent results than any other gelling method.
I use exactly the same method and I’m sure in the same time the soap is not overheated :) I use my hand as a thermometer and check how warm is inside of the oven, when is quite warm I just drop the soap in and try to stay away! Otherwise I will be there with my head inside of the oven each half an hour LOL I don’t even know what the thermometer would show…

I use 1 tbsp fragrance per lb of soap
I have tried putting it in the oven without turning it on but I don't think it gelled.. but then those were cupcake soaps so I don't know if it would work for a loaf mold.
A heating pad is a good idea! Never thought of that. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Actually, TBSP is 15 grams, and 1 lb. is 453 gr. So 1 tbsp is even over 3% otfw, and I think such amount is ok. That is very strange, that your EO r gone after gelling… Maybe try to pre heat oven until it will be quite warm for you, and then place soap inside. It should be fine that way :)

Last edited:
Awesome tips everyone. Some I haven't heard of. Thanks for the awesome read.

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

Latest posts

Back