Gelled soap - help please- new foto 30/9.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorado

Reaction score
I have made a CPOP chamomile soap.
I was so happy, it gelled in the oven, especially (spelling) because I only used small molds, but now, after 36 hours, the soap is still soft as rubber. Will it ever be hard :?: My recipe is 1500 g:

AvocadoOil 10%
CastorOil 10%
OliveOil 60% (chamomile flower infusion)
PalmKernelOil 20%
SodiumLactat 1%
Water 38% (made chamomile tea of ??demineralized water)
NaOH 25.664% (quality perfect)
SF 8%
FO Chamomile 3.3% (from soap company in Spain) Ok, but not the best.

Sat:Unsat 28:72 - Hard:27 - Cleansing:13 - Cond:70 - Bubbly:22 - Creamy:23 - Iodine:72 - Ins:128 - (soapcalc.net)

I mixed Oils and NaOH at 35 ¤ C. My room temperature is around 28 ¤ C.
I got speed trace after addition of FO, but I whipped powerfully, and poured into small molds. Did not think it was a problem.
Probably should have used less water and lower SF :?:
I OPed 2 hours at 60 ¤ C.and left it in the turned of oven for 24 hours.
The soap was a slightly greasy after 24 hours, but no zap.
The soap has not changed overnight. Should I just wait :?:
Sorry about the lousy picture quality, from mobile camera

[attachment=0:2m0wv0yx]13. Kamille2-4-600.jpg[/attachment:2m0wv0yx]

Attachments

• 13. Kamille2-4-600.jpg
    13. Kamille2-4-600.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 357
Re: Gelled soap - help please

Your recipe has 80% soft oils and full water amount. It will take a whole to harden up, so give it more time before you try to unmold, I'd say. It will get hard eventually. It sounds like it will turn in to a nice soap!

Thanks Soapsugoii

After 48 hours, it is still like rubber/gum :(
I think, the soap would like to sleep in the fridge tonight. :idea:
Then, maybe I can demold tomorrow, think it needs more air to dry. :?

I would keep it out at room temp and when you are going to unmold put it in the freezer, not the fridge for about a half hour. I have one recipe I like to make with a decent amount of soft oils in it and this has worked for me. I normally leave it for 3-4 days in the mold, quick freeze, then pop it out and move quick to drying rack while the outside is still frozen. Try to do this on a low humidity day or you will have some condensation form as it warms back to room temp.

Thanks SoapSmurf

I demolded the soap after 48 hours, after a sleepover in the fridge, wrapped in kitchentowel and a plasticbag.
It has now dried for 2 days on kitchentowel.
The paper is very oily. But, it is not leaking and it does not zap, just taste like soap, it is still soft and rubbery, and has many air bubbles.
I've cut a piece, it's like sticky marzepan. Maybe I did'nt mix the FO enough. I rebatched 250gr of it in a cooking bag (love that method) it looks better. Maybe I should just rebatche it all. Then I don't have to worry any more. Oh, I could cry, I wanted this batch so mutch to be perfect.

( I used 15 minutes writing this - oh, it is so difficult to explain in another language. Hopefully you understand.)

I think that it might have overheated and that is what is causing the somewhat oily consistency. As others have mentioned, using full water and a large % of soft oils will also make your soap take longer to harden.

New soap (12-36 hours after pour depending on gel and other factors) if it is ready to cut, will have the consistency of firm cheese. It gets harder over the next several weeks.

Don't get discouraged!

Thank you Judymoody.

I've rebatched another 300 gr today, I had 3 colours, now I've only got the natural coloured left about 1 kg.
I might rebatch some more, not sure yet, but I will deff. leave some of it to cure, to see how it behaves, and to learn.
It is still like wet sticky marzipan, after more than 72 hours.
I think you could be rigth about overheating, but I thought the soap got volcano effect, if it was too hot.
I have plans on making laundry soap anyway, so I won't wast any of it.
- nobody is perfect - I will continue. Learning a lot from my own mistakes theese days :|

I've done a bit of learning from my mistakes as well! Another tip is to use Sodium Lactate at 3% (I use 1 ounce in a 2lb batch) which really helps harden the soap. It's usually ready for me to unmold and cut the log the next day.

Thanks AndreaMakesSoap

Forgot that - I have 1% Sodium Lactate in the soap.
Learned, to use 1% if lye % is less than 33%, and 3% SL if lye % is higher than 33%, hopefully, this is right.

One good thing about this sope - I have a lovely scent of chamomile in my kitchen :thumbup:
And it will stay there, until I am happy with the result.

[attachment=0:1viu7ax8]13. Kamille2-6-600.jpg[/attachment:1viu7ax8]

Here you see a better picture of my chamomile soap before rebatch.
At the top, the molds with the red is rebatched, yellow smileys are rebatched, they look much better now, flowers are ok, so I'll keep them, the rest I have rebatched today.

I have done the following:
1st 540 gr flowers are as they are, without rebatch.
2nd 233 gr yellow, rebatched, added 1 teaspoon oil.
3rd 340 gr red, added 1 teaspoon water, 1 teaspoon oil, 1 teaspoon liquid color.
4th 500 g snowcrystal rebatched, added 50 g 100% hardened coconut fat.
5th 500 gr stars and rabbits rebatched, added 50 g Palm kernel oil.

I am going to learn a lot from this batch. :thumbup:
I have added respectively coconut oil / palm kernel oil, to see / feel the difference. I know my SF is a bit higher now, but that's OK. And I have to know how the coconut fat works in soap, can not find values ??for it anywhere.
The only thing I can find about the 100% coconutfat is:
Saturated fat: 92%, mono: 6% poly 2%. Melting point 27 C, Lauric acid app 50,
which should give antibacteriel effect. (do not know, but I read it somewhere)

I will now wait 3-5 days before I unmold. And then let the whole shebang cure for 6 weeks. Done - next soapproject.... :clap:

Does that sound reasonable :?:
I would really love to know what you think.

Attachments

• 13. Kamille2-6-600.jpg
    13. Kamille2-6-600.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 225
Back