Freezer Paper made of Gold?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can guarantee you that butcher paper is not freezer paper here. How do I know ? - we had a butcher shop. It wouldn't hold up with the soap, too soggy when damp. Butcher paper came by the rheem precut not in a roll.
Interesting. The butcher paper that I've seen here has a coating on one side but not the other. It's almost like a thicker version of freezer paper.

When I run out of freezer paper I'll most likely buy silicone molds. But that's not going to happen for a while because when they remodeled our local Kroger a couple of years ago they marked a bunch of stuff down, and one of those mark-downs was the Reynolds freezer paper. I bought every roll they had (20+) for $1/roll!!

This got a bit highjacked with the lip balm thing, but @KiwiMoose and @penelopejane , you've GOT to try it. So easy, so satisfying, so customizable, so cheap. Instant gratification, unlike soap!
I'm wearing my cilantro-bergamot lip balm right now....can't get that anywhere, I bet.
KiwiMoose, you only think you want it to be just like Blistex because you haven't ever tried all the amazing things you COULD be wearing!
I'll start a new thread to post my fave recipes (winter ones, summer ones, tingly ones, soothing ones, coloured ones, etc) and I'm sure there are tons on the board, too.
You can use any container, including cleaned-out lip balm tubs, but once you start making and giving away a few, you'll realise that you can't beat the prices on new tubes vs the fussiness of cleaning out old ones. I'm not sure what the S Hemisphere retailers are like, but I pay 18 cents Canadian each when I buy 100. "Oh, 100 is so much, I'll never use 100!"....I'm on my *fourth* order :)

This got a bit highjacked with the lip balm thing, but @KiwiMoose and @penelopejane , you've GOT to try it. So easy, so satisfying, so customizable, so cheap. Instant gratification, unlike soap!
I'm wearing my cilantro-bergamot lip balm right now....can't get that anywhere, I bet.
KiwiMoose, you only think you want it to be just like Blistex because you haven't ever tried all the amazing things you COULD be wearing!
I'll start a new thread to post my fave recipes (winter ones, summer ones, tingly ones, soothing ones, coloured ones, etc) and I'm sure there are tons on the board, too.
You can use any container, including cleaned-out lip balm tubs, but once you start making and giving away a few, you'll realise that you can't beat the prices on new tubes vs the fussiness of cleaning out old ones. I'm not sure what the S Hemisphere retailers are like, but I pay 18 cents Canadian each when I buy 100. "Oh, 100 is so much, I'll never use 100!"....I'm on my *fourth* order :)
Yeh, but, but... I ONLY like the mentholatum (medicated) Blistex one. So I'd have to replicate that flavour.

Yeh, but, but... I ONLY like the mentholatum (medicated) Blistex one. So I'd have to replicate that flavour.
It's only because you haven't tried my Cilantro-Bergamot. Or Lemon Licorice. Or Coriander-Mint. Or my Cocoa Peppermint Supreme. I like a LOT of tingle in my lip balms, so make them for normal people and then for myself with menthol crystals. I have one made with Ho Wood EO for "calmness" and I'm planning on trying a CBD balm for extra calmness (although I am generally opposed to randomly throwing CBD in things).
@Relle 40c/tube is definitely on the steeper side, but a cost-benefit analysis of the labour might reveal you're willing to spend it. If it's for personal use, I wouldn't worry as much.

I’d like to make some as my DH uses it constantly but can’t have “chemicals”.
Can you tell me what you use and how you make it?
I only need a tiny amount. :)
Do I have to buy applicators or can I reuse ones I have after I sterilise them?

Sorry kiwimoose I use silicone liner molds to avoid paper so I can’t help you. The liners from nurture might be cheaper than the paper :)

I have used the lip balm recipe and method from wellnesssmama and had great feedback it was the the burst bees copy that iv used! It was beeswax (although I have used a dermatology tested soy wax too) shea butter and I think it was sweet almond oil and coconut oil!

I am totally intrigued! I used to love Neutrogena's lip balm, but then they put sunscreen in it, and now I hate it. The sunscreens that they use in lip balms dries my lip out terribly. I have tried to make lip balm, but have not found the "magic" formula for me yet. It is usually too firm or too soft. If you start a new thread, I am there!

At the suggestion of @Relle? (I think) I went into our local Spotlight craft store to find freezer paper. I can’t get it at the supermarket here, in fact I’d never heard of it until you all mentioned it on SMF.
They had some! It was in 50m rolls just like the baking paper I usually use. “So how much is that?” I asked. She scanned it and said $2.50m. I said “You mean for the box, right?”. No she looked at me and said “No, it’s sold by the metre”.
“So if I bought the whole box it would be over $100?” I asked. she nodded.
I said thank you, I’ll stick with my baking paper, and walked out.
How much do you all pay for your freezer paper (and i’m assuming you buy it by the roll?)
Just bought a 450’ roll on Amazon for $30.98. It is so expensive in the grocery store! The brand is LEM. Just be sure to get the coated paper.

Just bought a 450’ roll on Amazon for $30.98. It is so expensive in the grocery store! The brand is LEM. Just be sure to get the coated paper.

The trouble is, melinda, KiwiMoose is not in the US. Even when buying from Amazon, when in another country, the products available and prices are not the same all over the world.

It's no biggie - I'll just stick with my baking paper, which I have no problems with. I was attracted to the freezer paper because it is thicker, but it sounds like some people have some problems with it sticking, which I don't have with the baking paper. It's only circa $3 for a 50 METRE roll.

I know how you feel kiwimoose. I am so jealous when I see that amazing freezer paper they use in the US! I just stick to countdown own banking paper!

Relle,
can you please tell me approx how many grams of lip balm mix a tube takes?
I want to make some just for personal use so I don't want to end up with a huge number.
Have you tried Heirlooms own lip balm base?
Do I need to buy a lip balm tube filling tray or will I be able to level off the top without getting lip balm everywhere?

Relle,
can you please tell me approx how many grams of lip balm mix a tube takes?
I want to make some just for personal use so I don't want to end up with a huge number.
Have you tried Heirlooms own lip balm base?
Do I need to buy a lip balm tube filling tray or will I be able to level off the top without getting lip balm everywhere?

If you look on Heirloom, they say 4.5grms. I think you can buy just 10 if you don't want quantity.
Tried their base ages ago, it's ok, easy to use, just melt it, add flavour, colour, I don't like using lip balm, hate that coated feel on my lips.
I didn't use tubes, I bought small pots to put it in. The tray is $20, save some money and turn an egg carton upside down and put them in that.

If you look on Heirloom, they say 4.5grms. I think you can buy just 10 if you don't want quantity.
Tried their base ages ago, it's ok, easy to use, just melt it, add flavour, colour, I don't like using lip balm, hate that coated feel on my lips.
I didn't use tubes, I bought small pots to put it in. The tray is $20, save some money and turn an egg carton upside down and put them in that.
Thanks. I saw that but I thought the 4.5g was the weight of the tube :rolleyes:
I hate sticking my finger in lip balm and getting it all over everything so I thought I'd try the tubes.

Latest posts

Back