Freezer Paper made of Gold?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
At the suggestion of @Relle? (I think) I went into our local Spotlight craft store to find freezer paper. I can’t get it at the supermarket here, in fact I’d never heard of it until you all mentioned it on SMF.
They had some! It was in 50m rolls just like the baking paper I usually use. “So how much is that?” I asked. She scanned it and said $2.50m. I said “You mean for the box, right?”. No she looked at me and said “No, it’s sold by the metre”.
“So if I bought the whole box it would be over $100?” I asked. she nodded.
I said thank you, I’ll stick with my baking paper, and walked out.
How much do you all pay for your freezer paper (and i’m assuming you buy it by the roll?)

Mine is $4.50 for 75 square feet.

Every one that I've seen has been reynolds brand.

It is a roll in a box.

freezerpaper.jpg

At the suggestion of @Relle? (I think) I went into our local Spotlight craft store to find freezer paper. I can’t get it at the supermarket here, in fact I’d never heard of it until you all mentioned it on SMF.
They had some! It was in 50m rolls just like the baking paper I usually use. “So how much is that?” I asked. She scanned it and said $2.50m. I said “You mean for the box, right?”. No she looked at me and said “No, it’s sold by the metre”.
How much do you all pay for your freezer paper (and i’m assuming you buy it by the roll?)

It would be cheaper for you to buy it online or heck, have us ship you some.

I sure as heck don't pay that much!!! I dont' really recall the prices, but I buy it large and small rolls (of different widths and lengths) and each time it's always been around $5.00US or less.

Online we can purchase 1,000 feet of 18inches wide for less than $25.00 US. So I'm thinking what you found must be made of gold!

Wow- $2.50 per meter? That's highway robbery! The pic that Bladesmith posted is exactly what I buy at my grocery store....the whole entire box 0f 75 square feet for under $5.00 USD.

IrishLass :)

A lot of aussies have the same problem and use bbq liners or those thin flexible cutting boards instead

It's about time I order some of my favourite Blistex medicated chap stick from Amazon, so maybe I'll order some of this at the same time then. I can't believe they would charge so much for it! It looks exactly like the one .
@KiwiMoose don't BUY lip balm!! You have all the ingredients to make it! Lip balm was my gateway product that led me to soap. I too could only use Blistex--and only certain colours--and Burt's Bees. But now that I make my own, I have such variety!

My local store has their own brand now--Kroger--75ft for about $3.00

I've never seen that here either..... Big possibility no one uses it haha. First time I heard of it was on this forum too @KiwiMoose and I hadn't bothered to even Google it lol

I took a chance twice with what the supplier called "grease proof paper" and it worked for the one time I made soap in a "slab mold." It didn't work the other time coz I had the wrong side touching the soap lol I had to scrape off the bits that got stuck.

At least I now know what a box of freezer paper looks like.........

I had to stop using the Reynolds because it was leaving marks on my soaps. Have not found a good sub yet
:eek:

I've never seen that here either..... Big possibility no one uses it haha. First time I heard of it was on this forum too @KiwiMoose and I hadn't bothered to even Google it lol

I took a chance twice with what the supplier called "grease proof paper" and it worked for the one time I made soap in a "slab mold." It didn't work the other time coz I had the wrong side touching the soap lol I had to scrape off the bits that got stuck.

At least I now know what a box of freezer paper looks like.........
I have always used just plain old baking paper and never had any problems. It's cheap and I always have it in the drawer anyways. I've never had any problems with it sticking or marking my soap.

@MGM - aaah the gateway drug! I don't think I could be bothered making my own lip balm TBH. Maybe I'll look into it. But it would have to be EXACTLY the same as Blistex Medicated, coz that's my favourite. For some reason we have all types of Blistex here in NZ, except the medicated one.

Last edited by a moderator:
@KiwiMoose don't BUY lip balm!! You have all the ingredients to make it! Lip balm was my gateway product that led me to soap. I too could only use Blistex--and only certain colours--and Burt's Bees. But now that I make my own, I have such variety!
I’d like to make some as my DH uses it constantly but can’t have “chemicals”.
Can you tell me what you use and how you make it?
I only need a tiny amount. :)
Do I have to buy applicators or can I reuse ones I have after I sterilise them?

Sorry kiwimoose I use silicone liner molds to avoid paper so I can’t help you. The liners from nurture might be cheaper than the paper :)

Another name for freezer paper is butcher paper. Perhaps that's something you might be able to source there?

I get mine at my local grocery store, not sure what I paid for it but it wasn't a lot. It's 75 sq ft as well and, if I remember correctly, under $5.00.

As for the lip balm, pm me and I'll share my recipe. I've been making it for about 20 years and my daughter loves it. She used to be totally addicted to Blistex.

It is interesting to learn about things like this from other countries.
Who would have thought freezer paper is so hard to get and so expensive overseas when it is so readily available here in the US?
Especially since Reynolds is such a large company you would think they could get into the market over there.
I don't recall what I paid for freezer paper last time I bought it but it wasn't very expensive.
I've never used it for making soap though My loaf molds have silicone liners.

Another name for freezer paper is butcher paper. Perhaps that's something you might be able to source there?
I get mine at my local grocery store, not sure what I paid for it but it wasn't a lot. It's 75 sq ft as well and, if I remember correctly, under $5.00.
As for the lip balm, pm me and I'll share my recipe. I've been making it for about 20 years and my daughter loves it. She used to be totally addicted to Blistex.

I can guarantee you that butcher paper is not freezer paper here. How do I know ? - we had a butcher shop. It wouldn't hold up with the soap, too soggy when damp. Butcher paper came by the rheem precut not in a roll.

From what I can see:
Freezer paper has a plastic or wax coating on one side.
Butchers paper has no coating at all.
Baking paper or parchment paper has a thin coat of silicone on both sides.
Greaseproof paper is treated with starches or sometimes just advanced papermaking processes. It’s not waterproof.

From what I can see:
Freezer paper has a plastic or wax coating on one side.
Butchers paper has no coating at all.
Baking paper or parchment paper has a thin coat of silicone on both sides.
Greaseproof paper is treated with starches or sometimes just advanced papermaking processes. It’s not waterproof.
Correct.

Latest posts

Back