Frankincense Gum, Uses & Preparation

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garden Gives Me Joy

Reaction score
Has anyone ever successfully used frankincense gum for soap, body butter, body oil or other handmade cosmetic product?

I had such a disaster trying to melt it down in oil some months ago. Unsure what I did wrong. It ended up as a grainy mess and did not even have that signature hypnotic aroma. Heat too high? Time wrong? Water soluble after all?

For whatever you use it for, what is the preparation process please?
frankincense.jpeg

Last edited:
I would love to hear the answer to this as well. I've received several sample bags of frankincense tears, and have no idea what to do with them.

Am enclosing a link with tips for grinding resins. The secret is to freeze the resin solidly and then grind small amounts at a time. Resins once powdered can be added as is to recipes or tinctured. I would not heat rather let time do its work.
Have invested in Dragons blood resin for making face masks. It’s lovely stuff. However there was some frustration until I found this info. Caution as to storage of resin powder. It absolutely will become rock hard again if not stored airtight. I put mine in glass and am now working to get it back out.
https://apothecarysgarden.com/2013/03/22/how-to-grind-frankincense-myrrh-and-other-oleo-resins/

Another easier source on how to infuse Frankincense tears. From littlewoodsherbal:
“Infuse powdered tears in jojoba or olive oil and filter before use. To powder, freeze the tears to prevent them from gumming up while grinding. Use a morter and pestle or spice grinder. Can clean up with a little olive oil and dish soap.”

I have never found that frankincense resin will melt into an oil base at the temperatures which the average person would use. Another solvent might work, however. Try alcohol maybe, depending on your use, but DO NOT heat the alcohol unless you absolutely know what you're doing. I made that error before & am lucky I didn't burn our condo complex down at the time 😲 Alcohol will not be suitable for all products, so you might want to do both an oil infusion & a tincturing of the material, as one of my neighbours does to derive scents from wild plants. There is also the option of enfleurage, which I will be testing out soon as a means of boosting the depth of scent in my products, but I don't think this would be suitable for raw frankincense tears.

For frankincense tears / granules (you can buy them pre-ground in granules FYI which I do sometimes, making things less labour intensive) I grind them down with a mortar & pestle - freezing it is a spectacular suggestion which I will try - and then add it to a glass jar of base oil. Put a lid on which will prevent leaks.

I then put a dish cloth into a bottom of a stainless pot, put the jar in on top of that, then fill with water to the level of the oil mixture in the jar. This requires a pot which is as somewhat higher than your jar.

I then turn heat on low & infuse for 3-4 hours, checking water level every 30 minutes or so, topping that up (HOT water because adding cool water can shatter the jar, which has happened to me before when not being mindful of this). I take the jar out every 30 minutes as well & give it a good shake. Use common sense as the jar is very hot.

At the end of the infusion period, I allow the infused oil to sit in the pot in the hot water & cool slowly to room temperature with a lid over top. This normally seals my jar, much like a canning jar seals. I'll then set it aside for a couple of weeks longer, or even a couple of months, giving it a shake as often as I remember to. There's also the option of vacuuming out all of the air from the jar while still significantly warm if it hasn't sealed, which can increase the amount of active ingredients pulled out of the plant material. This is something I do with my colorants that I cold-infuse.

Then it's ready to use. I just strain out the amount I require & leave the frankincense in the oil, giving it a shake now & again to avoid everything clumping up at the bottom of the jar.

I have not found that getting the same scent as the essential oil is possible this way as it's not a distillation, which is a very different process. The process outlined above is an oil infusion. Even with the essential oil, the scent you smell is different from batch to batch. It's a natural product, so you're not ever going to get the same thing time after time. You'll get something similar, but not identical. That's the nature of plant derived products. I deal with the same issue with all of my natural colorants & essential oils, even some of my raw materials derived from plants. For me, it's one of the amazing aspects of working with plants. I value working with them, rather than fighting them & their inherent nature / energy :)

Good luck figuring things out :)

Has anyone ever successfully used frankincense gum for soap, body butter, body oil or other handmade cosmetic product?

I had such a disaster trying to melt it down in oil some months ago. Unsure what I did wrong. It ended up as a grainy mess and did not even have that signature hypnotic aroma. Heat too high? Time wrong? Water soluble after all?

For whatever you use it for, what is the preparation process please?View attachment 72993
I grind it to a powder and use it for incense. Or, I infuse it using olive oil. I've never used the powder for soap, but I'm thinking it would be an exfoliating type soap.

There is frankenscence e/o that would be best in b&b products. I store my resin powders in mason jars and after 7 years, they're still free flowing and no clumping.

For whatever you use it for, what is the preparation process please?

FWIW: I use Rosin (aka Colophony; pine resin) in Zany's Flexseed & Rosin Shampoo for Hair & Body. Read on for @johnnyusa's recipes for Colds, Congestion & Pneumonia Salves made with rosin powder. :thumbs: ;)

First I bang the chunks with the side of a hammer, loaded into a ZipLoc bag (wrapped in a rag) until they are fairly small. I then load them into a dedicated food processor and grind to a powder. Because it's so sticky and challenging to use when melted alone, I make up a batch of 50/50 Rosin powder /Coconut oil. Once melted, I pour 2 oz. each into a six-cavity circle mold. Freeze for an hour, Then pop out and store them in a ZipLoc in the freezer until ready to use.

HTH:
https://apothecarysgarden.com/2014/...extract-of-frankincense-and-other-oleoresins/

Latest posts

Back