Fragrance measurements Help!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lore Zurita

Reaction score
Hi soaping friends! I have been making soap for about 3 months. I have been using only EO but ventured to buy some FO from Aztec Candle Making Supplies. I am not sure how much FO should I use. I have used Fragrance calcs from Brambleberry, Nature Soaps, The Sage. They work fine with EO because they are universal (?). They work only with the FO they sell. Unfortunately Aztec doesn’t have a fragrance calc!! So my question is, how do I know how much FO to use?? I usually make a 2 lb soap, if that helps.
Thanks so much for your help!

The supplier you purchase from should provide a usage percentage for the product being made. For example, here's one from NG:
upload_2019-7-11_14-0-5.png

So based on this, I can use 5% usage rate. I calculate based on oil weight, not total batch weight (as that may change based on what lye concentration I'm using, additional additives, etc. so I would like to keep my fragrance level as consistent as possible, if that makes sense. This also guarantees that I will never be over the max usage rate so if I have a slight overpour, it won't irritate someone's skin). So if I'm making 1000g oils, I calculate 10000 * .05 (the decimal equivalent of 5%) = 50g fragrance oil.

The supplier you purchase from should provide a usage percentage for the product being made. For example, here's one from NG:
View attachment 40226

So based on this, I can use 5% usage rate. I calculate based on oil weight, not total batch weight (as that may change based on what lye concentration I'm using, additional additives, etc. so I would like to keep my fragrance level as consistent as possible, if that makes sense. This also guarantees that I will never be over the max usage rate so if I have a slight overpour, it won't irritate someone's skin). So if I'm making 1000g oils, I calculate 10000 * .05 (the decimal equivalent of 5%) = 50g fragrance oil.
That makes total sense. They do have a chart for fragrances online. Thanks so much!

Latest posts

Back