Fragrance Amount for CP Soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mom2LilMan

Reaction score
What's a good general rule of thumb for fragrance (either FO or EO) in CP soap? Especially, if the FO or EO does not specify or give a recommendation.

I think 2 to 6% of the total weight of oils is standard for FOs. I would start at 0.5oz per pound of oils and see if you need to adjust after that. Obviously some scents will simply be stronger at that level than others.

Case in point. I made my first batch (24oz oil for a 2lb batch) with CandleScience's Dragon's Blood FO at 0.5oz ppo. If I EVER make it again, which is highly unlikely because I'm sick of smelling it at this point :lol: , I would start even lower around 0.3oz ppo.

The Scent Soap Review Board is a great place to find FOs from various sellers and how they behave as far as amount, scent sticking and discolorations.

Mom2LilMan said:
What's a good general rule of thumb for fragrance (either FO or EO) in CP soap? Especially, if the FO or EO does not specify or give a recommendation.

If they don't give a recommendation, then I don't think they're a very good supplier and would look for a new one.
No fragrance is going to be the same. Some fragrances are dilluted more than others and the contents of each fragrance oil differ from supplier to supplier.
If they don't give you a recommendation then they should at least supply the IFRA maximum usage level for each fragrance oil.

Back