FOs - Scent Memory Fragrance

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used Seven Veils with one of my slowest recipes last night and had mild to moderate acceleration working at 90-95F and 40% lye concentration. I was anticipating the possibility based on the test soap and planned ahead to use it in the base layer of the soap, which was made in a slab mold. I had no acceleration with Palo Santo Woods.

I just ordered from scent memory. I’ll update when I Soap with them. Although I’m planning to use some in lotion and scrubs.
Here’s my list:
Baltic Amber
Your skin but better
Seven veils
Rose and peppered plum
Bibliothe’que
Butter bomb
Grapefruit and peony
Dragon punch
Coco spice
Delina
Baccarat rouge
Mad tea party
Franc encens
Melon milk
Berry compote
Whispers in the library
Orange petal marshmallow
Tuberose

I bought 11 FOs
Wrapped in Vetiver
Bacarat Rouge 540
Bibliotheque
Helloooo Sailor
Neroli Portofino
Geranium & Incense
Terra
Santal 33
Suede Blanc
Noir 29
Cafe Vetiver

So far I have soaped with 8. Rouge, Biblio, Neroli, Geranium, Helloooo & Suede Blanc have all been great. Biblio discolored but it made my soap with a little dead sea clay look more like aged paper, so great. Rouge also darkened my rose clay but made it look more, well, rouge-y.
I was so excited about Wrapped in Vetiver. OOB it was my favorite. In soap I do not like it at all. It changed to a kind of astringent or just not great smell. Same with Santal 33. So good in the bottle but in soap it smells very similar to the soaped version of Wrapped and kind of similar to Geranium. I was going to try Vetiver Cafe and Noir 29 today. They smell VERY similar to each other OOB. They also resemble Wrapped and Santal 33 so I am not too hopeful but wonder if there is anything I can do on my end to keep the scents from changing so much in soap. I do CP Goat's milk if that matters.
Also, fwiw, Geranium & Incense smells VERY similar to my nose OOB to Terra and I don't know if the average person would be able to tell the difference between Terra, Geranium & Santal 33 in my soaps

I bought 11 FOs
Wrapped in Vetiver
Bacarat Rouge 540
Bibliotheque
Helloooo Sailor
Neroli Portofino
Geranium & Incense
Terra
Santal 33
Suede Blanc
Noir 29
Cafe Vetiver

So far I have soaped with 8. Rouge, Biblio, Neroli, Geranium, Helloooo & Suede Blanc have all been great. Biblio discolored but it made my soap with a little dead sea clay look more like aged paper, so great. Rouge also darkened my rose clay but made it look more, well, rouge-y.
I was so excited about Wrapped in Vetiver. OOB it was my favorite. In soap I do not like it at all. It changed to a kind of astringent or just not great smell. Same with Santal 33. So good in the bottle but in soap it smells very similar to the soaped version of Wrapped and kind of similar to Geranium. I was going to try Vetiver Cafe and Noir 29 today. They smell VERY similar to each other OOB. They also resemble Wrapped and Santal 33 so I am not too hopeful but wonder if there is anything I can do on my end to keep the scents from changing so much in soap. I do CP Goat's milk if that matters.
Also, fwiw, Geranium & Incense smells VERY similar to my nose OOB to Terra and I don't know if the average person would be able to tell the difference between Terra, Geranium & Santal 33 in my soaps
I don’t have santal 33. I had it once but my nose didn’t get much out of it but I love geranium and it has sold out twice for me. Smells fabulous in soap - I used French green clay in it as well which makes it quite luxurious. Terra smells so much more earthy to me while geranium is more floral. Tomato leaf is exactly like crushing a tomato leaf. Just amazing.
I have soaped hot process with hello sailor and it’s fantastic. I also soaped with Palo santo woods. It is the best I have ever sniffed. I made incense with it as well. The aventus and exotic orchid (skin safe version coming soon) is just heaven.
I believe a volcano fo is coming as well.

I don’t have santal 33. I had it once but my nose didn’t get much out of it but I love geranium and it has sold out twice for me. Smells fabulous in soap - I used French green clay in it as well which makes it quite luxurious. Terra smells so much more earthy to me while geranium is more floral. Tomato leaf is exactly like crushing a tomato leaf. Just amazing.
I have soaped hot process with hello sailor and it’s fantastic. I also soaped with Palo santo woods. It is the best I have ever sniffed. I made incense with it as well. The aventus and exotic orchid (skin safe version coming soon) is just heaven.
I believe a volcano fo is coming as well.
Since you know this company so well, I'm hoping you can answer a few questions so I don't have to ask them instead.

1. Does she ever have a sale?
2. Does she restock, or is it a "Once it's gone, it's gone"? There are a lot of things where she says something like "Only 2 left" or the smaller sizes are sold out and she only has large sizes or special orders available.
3. Some fragrances are sized at 30ml sample then it jumps to 2 oz. Those seem to be the newer fragrances. Is that where the company is going?

Thanks! BTW, I am obsessed with Bohemian Spa......:)

Since you know this company so well, I'm hoping you can answer a few questions so I don't have to ask them instead.

1. Does she ever have a sale?
2. Does she restock, or is it a "Once it's gone, it's gone"? There are a lot of things where she says something like "Only 2 left" or the smaller sizes are sold out and she only has large sizes or special orders available.
3. Some fragrances are sized at 30ml sample then it jumps to 2 oz. Those seem to be the newer fragrances. Is that where the company is going?

Thanks! BTW, I am obsessed with Bohemian Spa......:)
Kristen does have sales. Often the entire site sometimes slow moving oils, she always restocks - she just wants people to know what is on the shelves.
I have been to HQ and she will be moving to a larger place but for now is limited as to how much she can have on the shelves or in stock. Kristen is in need of help as many companies are now. I do go there and help out when I can. I can also get a sneak peek at what’s ahead and all I can say is - amazing high end fragrances are on the way. I am trying to talk her into Tom Fords lavender extreme dupe which is incredible.
She is moving to the small samples, 2 oz, 8 oz and 16 oz. If I recall correctly. The 1 oz did not work out as she hoped.
Boho spa is amazing. I love anise so yea. I know.
Kristen is very approachable and if your Mineapolis you should stop by.

Kristen does have sales. Often the entire site sometimes slow moving oils, she always restocks - she just wants people to know what is on the shelves.
I have been to HQ and she will be moving to a larger place but for now is limited as to how much she can have on the shelves or in stock. Kristen is in need of help as many companies are now. I do go there and help out when I can. I can also get a sneak peek at what’s ahead and all I can say is - amazing high end fragrances are on the way. I am trying to talk her into Tom Fords lavender extreme dupe which is incredible.
She is moving to the small samples, 2 oz, 8 oz and 16 oz. If I recall correctly. The 1 oz did not work out as she hoped.
Boho spa is amazing. I love anise so yea. I know.
Kristen is very approachable and if your Mineapolis you should stop by.

Thanks for the response. I live nowhere near, unfortunately. But it looks like you are in Buffalo--you aren't close by either. I am sad about the size change, tho. 30ml isn't much to try something, especially how fragrances behave in CP soap. Brambleberry has trial sizes at half an ounce, and that's enough to do a small batch of soap IF the fragrance is strong, but barely. Kristen's fragrances are too expensive to take a flyer on many 2 oz bottles.

Maybe this will help. I buy 6 sample sizes to test before commiting to something I "can't do without". LOL Here's how I test them:

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/testing-fos-eos-colorants-in-cp.84154/

Thanks. That's a way to use up some of my pre-mixed bases too.

Not nearly as much fun tho. One of the one ounce bottles I bought I made solid perfume, solid conditioner (using a base) and a single M&P soap. And I still have about half an ounce to make a few tarts. :)

I tried Café Vetiver and Noir 29 and they both seem to be good in soap. Time will tell with retention but both fragrances are still nice after the saponification process. They did accelerate a bit but not unworkable

Also, thanks to @Zany_in_CO for sharing this find!

thanks to @Zany_in_CO for sharing this find!
Actually, @lsg gets the credit for supplying the link.
See Post #1...
Kudos to @lsg for finding what looks to be an excellent source for specialty FOs.

I just moved it here after checking it out and I started drooling! 😅

While we're at it, thanks to all for contributing to this thread!

Thanks.gif

I discovered tonight that their customer service is great.
I made a wish list a while ago. I was so taken with the complexity and intensity of
most of the fragrances, I decided I wanted to try others. As I mentioned earlier, I really
like getting the 1 oz bottles of new scents--it's enough to make a project or even a
couple small things to see how it behaves or smells after cure.

Anyway, I was holding off ordering but then when @contrinokathy said she was going to
phase out 1 oz bottles, I thought I'd better order them sooner rather than later. So I got my wish list and started putting things in my shopping cart, and I noticed that they were out of 1 oz bottles of two of the things I wanted to try. Ah, well.....

Anyway, I didn't notice they were out of 1 oz bottles of THREE things I wanted to try, and I
inadvertently put a 4 oz bottle in my cart (the 1 oz was grayed out).. I didn't notice until I got
home tonight and was looking at my confirmation email. I did NOT want 4 oz of that fragrance.

So I emailed them and apologized for being careless, but would they please take the 4 oz out of my cart, and instead add a 1 oz bottle of one thing and change a 1 oz bottle of another to a 2 oz bottle. Within two hours on a Saturday night, they sent me a revised order and an email confirming they made the change.

I'm impressed......

I discovered tonight that their customer service is great.
I made a wish list a while ago. I was so taken with the complexity and intensity of
most of the fragrances, I decided I wanted to try others. As I mentioned earlier, I really
like getting the 1 oz bottles of new scents--it's enough to make a project or even a
couple small things to see how it behaves or smells after cure.

Anyway, I was holding off ordering but then when @contrinokathy said she was going to
phase out 1 oz bottles, I thought I'd better order them sooner rather than later. So I got my wish list and started putting things in my shopping cart, and I noticed that they were out of 1 oz bottles of two of the things I wanted to try. Ah, well.....

Anyway, I didn't notice they were out of 1 oz bottles of THREE things I wanted to try, and I
inadvertently put a 4 oz bottle in my cart (the 1 oz was grayed out).. I didn't notice until I got
home tonight and was looking at my confirmation email. I did NOT want 4 oz of that fragrance.

So I emailed them and apologized for being careless, but would they please take the 4 oz out of my cart, and instead add a 1 oz bottle of one thing and change a 1 oz bottle of another to a 2 oz bottle. Within two hours on a Saturday night, they sent me a revised order and an email confirming they made the change.

I'm impressed......
Kristen has great customer service.

I’ve decided that I’m going to use the samples to make solid color individual bars in cavity molds. Making test bars is leaving me with even less of a little bit of these special FOs. The bars will look attractive as sets of two or three soaps in pretty colors and I will stop stressing out about how to use what I have without wasting a drop.

I’ve decided that I’m going to use the samples to make solid color individual bars in cavity molds. Making test bars is leaving me with even less of a little bit of these special FOs. The bars will look attractive as sets of two or three soaps in pretty colors and I will stop stressing out about how to use what I have without wasting a drop.
Good idea. Enjoy

Results so far--In general, I'm really happy with the fragrances. Even hubby commented that they are much more complex than the usual fragrances I use. I've looked up a lot of the "original" fragrances they are based on--if you've looked at the site, you know they make their version of really expensive perfumes. But given that I can't ever see myself buying a 9.5 oz candle for $125 (what one of the original perfumers charge on their website), or other perfumes and candles in that space, I am getting to try and enjoy scents which I've never encountered before. 😁

Byredo Sunday--the best "masculine" fragrance hubby and I have ever smelled. He wanted a shampoo, so I made that for him (using shampoo base), and I used 1/2 oz in 4 bars of soap.
It soaped beautifully, don't know if it will discolor, but it's easy to work with. I ordered more.

Laila- Beautiful floral, but it riced my soap and the scent has faded after just a week.

Your Skin but Better---very subtle fragrance. Made a spray-on moisturizer and a perfume roll-on. It is as the name suggests.

Whispers in the Library--really beautiful fragrance. Made a perfume roll-on and wax tarts.

Bohemian Spa--my newest obsession. Smells like clove to me--a lot like the old Lush fragrance Skinny Dip. Made perfume roll-on, solid perfume, solid hair conditioner, a single M&P soap, and ordered more.

Baccarate Rouge--Different, but nice. Made a perfume roll-on. That's it so far.

La Boulangerie - Tarts, tarts baby. Generally I'm not a "foody" scents type, but this is perfect. On a winter day having the house smell like freshly baked bread (I bake bread, but this saves calories) is not a bad thing. ;)

I haven't used the other ones yet.

Latest posts

Back