Formulating oils confusion.. Open to learn

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isha

Reaction score
So
Recently ive beeb playing with oils and asking questions.. On one of my recent questions on clay some. Someone said it's not clay. But the oils that decide if the bar will dry my skin.

Then i was on some other groups and reading. Ppl said that when u add addatives. U also change ur recipe

So my question is. How does addative effect my oil reciep. Nd what should i look for when playing with addatives or herb infused oils.

TIA

Too much clay in a recipe can have a stripping effect on the skin. Clays absorb excess oil, therefore, if one has dry skin, it might be better to use a recipe without clay. Researching clay properties will help you to understand how each clay works. If you have dry skin, try using a recipe that is low in cleansing value and high in conditioning value. I use SoapCalc and usually go by their numbers.

https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/tips-and-tricks/which-clay-is-right-for-your-skin/

Too much clay in a recipe can have a stripping effect on the skin. Clays absorb excess oil, therefore, if one has dry skin, it might be better to use a recipe without clay. Researching clay properties will help you to understand how each clay works. If you have dry skin, try using a recipe that is low in cleansing value and high in conditioning value. I use SoapCalc and usually go by their numbers.

https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/tips-and-tricks/which-clay-is-right-for-your-skin/
Thanks.. Il look into it. Ita more of a general query not just clay. But any addative for that matter. Herbs etc

"...How does addative effect my oil reciep...."

If you want a comprehensive list, there is none. You need to pick one or a few specific additives and investigate.

So my question is. How does addative effect my oil reciep. Nd what should i look for when playing with addatives or herb infused oils.
Normally, additives won't effect the oils in your recipe. The recipe stays the same. Additives are used to create "something extra" in your finished bar of soap.

All Additives: As DeeAnna mentioned, it's important to read the information on the suppler's site or do some general research to be sure you don't use too little or too much to get the desired effect.

Clays, Activated Charcoal: Use 1 teaspoon - 1 tablespoon PPO (Per Pound of Oils) Purpose: Exfoliation. Can be used at a low % to bulk up a batch of otherwise thin soap, as in the case of high % of liquid oil such as olive oil; White Kaolin Clay whitens soap; colored clays add color.

Herbs: As Shari mentioned, best to infuse herbs in oil and strain before using or they make the soap feel scratchy. Powdered herbs can be added at a rate of 1/4 teaspoon PPO for a speckled effect. Herbs like calendula petals, chamomile flowers, comfrey leaves, bay leaves are soothing and color the soap.

Kitchen Spices: Use 1 teaspoon - 1 tablespoon PPO Add to oil and/or lye water to color soap. Strain before using (optional). NOTE: Cloves and Cinnamon should be used with a very light touch because they are sensitizing to skin and "heaters" in soap, i.e., will heat the soap up quickly while bringing the batch to trace.

Vegetables: Cucumber, whole or peeled. Weigh the pulp first and deduct that amount from the water used to make the lye solution. Carrot: Wonderful for face soap and sensitive skin. Infuse in olive oil or HO sunflower oil to make a pretty yellow to gold to pale orange soap.

Seaweed: Good for skin. Can be added to the oils and/or lye water and strained (optional). Also used to color soap. Somewhat stinky at first, but it fades. Find a compatible FO or EO blend to neutralize the odor. Kelp powder, spirulina, nori.

Tussah Silk: Add a small marble-size ball to lye solution. All to hydrate 5 minutes. Stir to dissolve thoroughly. Add lye to oils while pouring through a strainer to get any bits out.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. HTH (Hope This Helps!)
Wave.gif

Normally, additives won't effect the oils in your recipe. The recipe stays the same. Additives are used to create "something extra" in your finished bar of soap.

All Additives: As DeeAnna mentioned, it's important to read the information on the suppler's site or do some general research to be sure you don't use too little or too much to get the desired effect.

Clays, Activated Charcoal: Use 1 teaspoon - 1 tablespoon PPO (Per Pound of Oils) Purpose: Exfoliation. Can be used at a low % to bulk up a batch of otherwise thin soap, as in the case of high % of liquid oil such as olive oil; White Kaolin Clay whitens soap; colored clays add color.

Herbs: As Shari mentioned, best to infuse herbs in oil and strain before using or they make the soap feel scratchy. Powdered herbs can be added at a rate of 1/4 teaspoon PPO for a speckled effect. Herbs like calendula petals, chamomile flowers, comfrey leaves, bay leaves are soothing and color the soap.

Kitchen Spices: Use 1 teaspoon - 1 tablespoon PPO Add to oil and/or lye water to color soap. Strain before using (optional). NOTE: Cloves and Cinnamon should be used with a very light touch because they are sensitizing to skin and "heaters" in soap, i.e., will heat the soap up quickly while bringing the batch to trace.

Vegetables: Cucumber, whole or peeled. Weigh the pulp first and deduct that amount from the water used to make the lye solution. Carrot: Wonderful for face soap and sensitive skin. Infuse in olive oil or HO sunflower oil to make a pretty yellow to gold to pale orange soap.

Seaweed: Good for skin. Can be added to the oils and/or lye water and strained (optional). Also used to color soap. Somewhat stinky at first, but it fades. Find a compatible FO or EO blend to neutralize the odor. Kelp powder, spirulina, nori.

Tussah Silk: Add a small marble-size ball to lye solution. All to hydrate 5 minutes. Stir to dissolve thoroughly. Add lye to oils while pouring through a strainer to get any bits out.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. HTH (Hope This Helps!) View attachment 29500
Thanks zany.... [emoji3] [emoji3] [emoji3]

Latest posts

Back