I'm new! Hopefully I'm doing this right.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meepocow

Reaction score
Hello Soapers! (Soapmakers? Soapists? What is the correct term?)

I'm new to soap-making, and also haven't been on a forum since the ICQ days so hopefully I'm doing this right!

I love learning all manner of new hobbies, and when I recently turned over the labels from soaps made by one of my favourite local makers I got to wondering if it might be something I could make. Fast forward two weeks, and my first loaf worth is currently curing in an IKEA LENNART drawer cabinet while I research and dream up other concoctions! I also committed to some clays, butters, and even my first order of bulk essential oils. We're going whole-hog! I think for now I want to stick to natural colourants and essential oils, as that's what my favourite maker uses and I absolutely love her soaps - beautiful, natural scents that give a little aromatherapy session in the shower, and muted, natural colours.

I'm also fascinated by all the different factors that come into play in soap-making. Formulating test recipes in soapcalc and taking a look at the fatty acid content brought me right back to my undergrad chemistry days, and it feels good to use that part of my brain again. I'm very much looking forward to learning from everyone on this forum!

Welcome.gif

Welcome! Sounds like you are waaaay down the rabbit hole. :) Even though your curing cart is coated steel, it's always best to put a layer of something in between soap and anything metal, to avoid possible rancidity. Parchment paper or waxed paper are good choices. Oh, and we love soap pictures around here. ;)

Welcome! Sounds like you are waaaay down the rabbit hole. :) Even though your curing cart is coated steel, it's always best to put a layer of something in between soap and anything metal, to avoid possible rancidity. Parchment paper or waxed paper are good choices. Oh, and we love soap pictures around here. ;)
avoid possible rancidity. Parchment paper or waxed paper are good choices. Oh, and we love soap pictures around here.
Aw thanks! Yes I did see that comment somewhere, so the bars are on a layer of parchment. Also something about rotation the bars every week or so for even drying? 🤔

Here is my very first loaf, an unscented colloidal oatmeal and kaolin clay!
20221008_091415.jpg
20221008_093036.jpg

Welcome. If you are wanting to experiment, I recommend going with 1lb batches. Your soap looks lovely.

Great advice! I'm scaling 'er back, nobody needs this much soap lol.
Soap makes for great gifts. The first two years, I donated a lot of soap...homeless shelter, food bank, DV shelter. I give soap to family, to co-workers, last year I made soap for everyone at my knitting retreat. But the reason for recommending smaller batches is due to 'opportunities to learn'...what I call failures. the first six months I made soap...I wasted a lot of ingredients with a 50 oz mold. I then bought a couple of 20 oz square silicone molds and it's a great way to text new scents, new colorants, new additives, new ingredients.

Last edited:
Soap makes for great gifts. The first two years, I donated a lot of soap...homeless shelter, food bank, DV shelter. I give soap to family, to co-workers, last year I made soap for everyone at my knitting retreat. But the reason for recommending smaller batches is due to 'opportunities to learn'...what I call failures. the first six months I made soap...I wasted a lot of ingredients with a 50 oz mold. I then bought a couple of 20 oz square silicone molds and it's a great way to text new scents, new colorants, new additives, new ingredients.
Absolutely, I feel much more comfortable making a small batch than a big one. If it works out, I can always make more! I think it will be a great way to test.

I am already thinking about putting together soap samplers for Christmas gifts, maybe 4-5 half-bars. I won't have enough full bars to go around, but one local soapmaker I love sells half bars and it is a great way to sample new soaps.

Latest posts

Back