For those of you that CPOP, when do you cut your soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tammy sue starks

Reaction score
This is my second large batch and it is very hard but I'm afraid to take it out of the mold because it is still warm and I guess I'm worried about it being soft on the bottom

ugh, ,I just cut it and it's ugly
Is the design ugly or did it crumble, separate, have lots of holes, etc?

My fugly soap gets donated to my homeless shelter. I cut the bars in half leave it to cure, and put it in a ziplock with a washcloth (new) when it is ready to be used. When I have a bunch I let them know I am coming and drop them off. The soap is good, the scent is great it just isn't what I wanted. The shelter has gotten several monthly challenge tries!

Is the design ugly or did it crumble, separate, have lots of holes, etc?

My fugly soap gets donated to my homeless shelter. I cut the bars in half leave it to cure, and put it in a ziplock with a washcloth (new) when it is ready to be used. When I have a bunch I let them know I am coming and drop them off. The soap is good, the scent is great it just isn't what I wanted. The shelter has gotten several monthly challenge tries!
No this has large pieces of lye in it. I stuck my tongue on it and really got zapped

Ouch! Do you have a picture? I'm just wondering if the chunks are really and truly lye chunks and not something else, such as re- solidified fats/stearic spots for example. Since the soap is newly unmolded, it's not unusual for zapping to occur, especially if it did not go through a completely full gel. I normally wait a few days to a week before I zap-test mine.

For what it's worth, I unmold my soap when it is completely cooled down from gel, which can take anywhere from 12 to 18 hours.

IrishLass :)

Ouch! Do you have a picture? I'm just wondering if the chunks are really and truly lye chunks and not something else, such as re- solidified fats/stearic spots for example. Since the soap is newly unmolded, it's not unusual for zapping to occur, especially if it did not go through a completely full gel. I normally wait a few days to a week before I zap-test mine.

For what it's worth, I unmold my soap when it is completely cooled down from gel, which can take anywhere from 12 to 18 hours.

IrishLass :)
I can post a pic, but my tongue didn't zap anywhere except for the white spots

Back