FO question..

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scare

Reaction score
Good Evening,
I'm David from Italy, a new forum subscriber :)
I'm really happy to get into a large community like this!

I've a question, if someone can help me.
I just bouth from a uk reseller FO to add in soap making process.
I'm making soaps from a couple of month but there is a thing strange to me:

Well after adding FO (34 gr for 1,2kg fats) into my soap process (when it got a little trace), it becomes like solid in a couple of seconds :/
I tryed two times and same result.

If it can help I'll post you my recipe ok?
CONTENTS
OILS Quantity Weight in gr %Oils %Total
1, Olive 511,67 gr 511,67 50,0 33,5
2, Coconut 358,17 gr 358,17 35,0 23,4
3, Peanut 133,04 gr 133,04 13,0 8,7
4, Wheat Germ 20,47 gr 20,47 2,0 1,3

1023,35 gr 100%
LYE & WATER %Total
NaOH needed: 145,08 gr 9,5
(With 6% Lye discount)
Water Needed: 319,86 gr (319,86 ml) 20,9

My procedure it's right adding FO during the trace time? Or usually it's best to add before adding lye?

regards,
Davide

p.s= I usually add lye to oil when both temps are like 50-60°C thats like 130°F

Last edited:
My procedure it's right adding FO during the trace time? Or usually it's best to add before adding lye?

It's better to add your FO to your oils, before adding your lye solution.

Especially some floral FO's are notorious for giving you soap on a stick. Making sure both your oils/butters and lye solution are at room temp often gives you a lot more time.

Especially some floral FO's are notorious for giving you soap on a stick. Making sure both your oils/butters and lye solution are at room temp often gives you a lot more time.

hmm I always used to add lye to oils when was at 130°F (both), that doesn't give me a lot of time to do swirling or other stuff..
And always added FO at trace point (more or less)

But usually I always used Essential Oils, I've read in the past link ( http://www.millersoap.com/trouble.html ) that Essential Oils doesn't give usually that problems :/

I'll try your suggestion then

Thank you

Seizing by FO

Hello- I have always put my fragrance oils into an equal amount of a "buffering oil". For instance, I would add 20 grams of FO to 20 grams of castor oil. Then this mixture gets added at trace. I have never had a soap batch seize by using this method. :p

Today I used this method to make same soap recipe.
Well everything was ok, perfect! thank you all!

Thats the result.. :silent:

cpu3gq.jpg

Back