FO and EO staying power

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penelopejane

Reaction score
I am thinking of making scented wardrobe hangers to keep moths at bay.

Would wax as a base or soap as a base make the FO or EO last longer?

If I used soap as a base and I used a very high percentage of FO or EO when the scent had faded to nothing would the soap be usable or would the bad bits in the scents be retained and make the soap unsafe to use?

I've made clay discs with air dry clay which are saturated with an EO or FO. They then can be refreshed with drops when the scent fades. It was something I played with using my moon cake press, but I am sure you could do the same by just forming a flat disc with the clay. Using it as a closet scenter is a really good idea actually. If the purpose were to repel moths or insects, I would think you would need to use an EO. But I'm not really sure about that.

I really do not think the soap would be useable. The scent may fade but many of the constituents of the FO and /or EO would remain. I just know I will not sell a eucalyptus soap I have that is faded to nada as unfragranced. I have also played with the clay using my Moonpress. They are fun but I did not make many, due to time constraints. It is nice that you can refresh them

Latest posts

Back