Floral Absolutes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saponista

Reaction score
I am trying to avoid using fragrance oils in my soap, but would like to make a floral soap.
I have had a look around and the only things I could really afford are the diluted absolutes eg. 5% Jasmine or Rose. Has anyone ever used these diluted absolutes in cold process soap? I am worried that they are so weak they would disappear before the soap has cured. Perhaps I will buy some and try, but it would be nice to know if anyone else has already tried this. I would probably mix them with other essential oils, perhaps sandalwood for the jasmine to try and hold the scent.

I use jasmine eo , a diluted eo won't hold up scent wise to cp. Besides, what it is diluted with may affect the soap. You can find less expensive eo's that are pure (or said to be) on the net. Good luck!

the only floral eo i've tried was rose. i have no idea about the quality but it cost me 7.50 for 10ml. the seller said it wasn't diluted. i used 3/4 of it in a 500gr batch and it still smells now. it's been close to 6 mths. i wanna try jasmine but oh dear the price is killing me.

I have not tried the Absolutes.

I can say that Rose Geranium EO holds up very well at a fraction of the cost of Rose Absolute. Can't tell you if they smell very similar or not, as I've never purchased the Absolute, but Rose Geranium EO is a very fragrant rose smell.

If you use absolutes, maybe do a small batch for the amount you get? I am not certain, so wait until one of the mods or someone with experience can chime in.

Another nice floral is Lavender EO, and it stays with the soap too.

Have no idea about Jasmine - at all.

No idea about anchoring Absolutes or blending, so I am not much help. :(

Let us know what you decide and how it works out!

I've been really happy with the results I'm getting from floral waxes in my soap. They're not as cheap as fos, but they're much cheaper than the absolutes, and the scent does hold. And a little goes a long way. Unfortunately I can't remember the percentage I use in my rose soap, but it's very definitely rose-scented. You can get rose, tuberose,2 jasmines, and mimosa fron Saffire Blue, and I'm sure you could find it in the states too.

I'm in England and I'm not sure I've seen them but thanks for the advice on the waxes, I will see if I can find them. I will also see if I can find some cheaper absolutes. Thanks for all the help and advice everyone. I will let you know how I get on :)

I was also going to recommend floral waxes. Camden Grey carries some if you want to experiment without spending a ton of money.

For Jasmine and Neroli, I broke down and use FO. You can use Ylang Ylang as a (sort of) jasmine substitute.

I've just had a look and there are several uk sites that stock the waxes, I'm so excited now!!! Will get some when my next pay check comes through. I love the idea of natural violet scented soap, but not that Parma violet smell which I think you would get from FO.

ylang ylang smells great, and not nearly as pricey as jasmine, and it gives that jasmine-esque musk...

I looked up my recipe- I used 0.1oz ppo rose wax in conjunction with other waxes and eos, and the rose scent still comes through.

That's great thanks forsenuf, I will definitely give it a try. I love the smell of champaca but haven't found any wax for that yet.

Back