Fisrt batch - have question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

majormayhem

Reaction score
I made my first batch of soap 2 days ago. I used a recipe from a book. The top and corners of my soap are a lighter shade than the middle and botton of the soap. The top actually look more like the pic in the book, but I'm concerned that I messed it up somehow. Has this ever happened to anyone and is there anything I can do at this point to fix it?

try a search on incomplete gel - I bet you will be relieved to learn that it's nothing to worry about!

carebear said:
try a search on incomplete gel - I bet you will be relieved to learn that it's nothing to worry about!

Yes, it sounds like your soap started to gel, but gel didn't happen all the way through the soap. Did you cover your soap after you poured? If not, you might try that next time.

Your soap is just fine to use. It's just the color is off now. Soap doesn't have to gel to be useable, so if you wanted to avoid it all together, you could pop it into the fridge for a while after pouring.

Thanks for the repy. I just checked it and it's all one color now. Guess I was worried for nothing! I did cover it with card board 3 towels and a blanket.

Im think I know why it happed. I had the heater on that night, and it got too hot, so I got up and turned it off. A few hours later, I woke up cause it was freezing! I'm guessing it affected my soap since it got so cold. I read about useing a heating pad to help insulted the soap. I guess I'll try that next time.

majormayhem said:
Thanks for the repy. I just checked it and it's all one color now. Guess I was worried for nothing! I did cover it with card board 3 towels and a blanket.

Im think I know why it happed. I had the heater on that night, and it got too hot, so I got up and turned it off. A few hours later, I woke up cause it was freezing! I'm guessing it affected my soap since it got so cold. I read about useing a heating pad to help insulted the soap. I guess I'll try that next time.

Yep, that sounds like what happened - changes in room temp. I never seem to have a problem with heat, I always have too much & am battling volcanoeing.

Back