Soap discoloration

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone know why the top of my soap is pink and the middle brown? I jsut cut it so maybe it will go away with the cure but I don’t think so. I used rhubarb root powder before in hot process soap and always turned a beautiful pink but I realize cold process is much different. I soaped at about 110 which now thinking about it may have been to high since I was forcing gel phase I was just scared to have a partial gel because that has happened to many times. I did force it through gel by using the oven heating to 170 then turning off when I put my soap in because I assumed that would make the color pop more. Maybe somehow it burned? It smells great though I used rose and clary sage essential oil. Any feedback would be great thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7362.jpeg
    IMG_7362.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7364.jpeg
    IMG_7364.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7366.jpeg
    IMG_7366.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Please post full recipe and process, so we will have a hint as to the cause.
Here is the color after curing for a week. It definitely has improved but I’m still wondering why it doesn’t look like the top? The recipe I have used before with different scents and really like just has to cure for a bit longer due to the high tallow%. I soaped at about 110 which probably was too high but it didn’t crack even with forced gel. I added .7 ppo of clary sage and rose after trace and rhubarb root powder at .5 tsp ppo after trace. Then I Gelling it by heating by the oven to 170 then turning it off and putting the soap in. Left it in for about an hour. And cut it the next day. It smells lovely. But just wondering why the color turned out this way maybe the as the water evaporates in the bar it will continue to turn more pink? I’m still a beginner so any feedback would be great. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_7593.jpeg
    IMG_7593.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7587.png
    IMG_7587.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
@Vivienne_mulligan, the most likely culprit is that your rose fragrance is not actually EO, real rose EO is hundreds of dollars for a tiny amount (like a teaspoonful), so I suspect it is a fragrance oil in whole or part. What did you use and where did you get it? Many FOs discolor, you have to be careful of the source and to read reviews to avoid that.

I highly recommend the rose FO from Midwest Fragrance Company, it is wonderfully true, does not accelerate (rare in a floral FO) or discolor, sticks extremely well, very reasonably priced. The best rose FO I have found other than the Sweetcakes one, which accelerates to soap on a stick (so you are limited to a one color, no swirl soap), and is very expensive, especially when you factor in postage.

Also, did you use any additives? Sometimes additives with sugars or milk will turn your soap darker.

ETA: I actually really like the way it looks now, though, the light purple body and pink top. A very pretty result.

Last edited:
@Vivienne_mulligan, the most likely culprit is that your rose fragrance is not actually EO, real rose EO is hundreds of dollars for a tiny amount (like a teaspoonful), so I suspect it is a fragrance oil. What did you use and where did you get it? Many FOs discolor, you have to be careful of the source and to read reviews to avoid that.

I highly recommend the rose FO from Midwest Fragrance Company, it is wonderfully true, does not accelerate (rare in a floral FO) or discolor, sticks extremely well, very reasonably priced. The best rose FO I have found other than the Sweetcakes one, which accelerates to soap on a stick (so you are limited to a one color, no swirl soap, and is very expensive, especially when you factor in postage.

Also, did you use any additives? Sometimes additives with sugars or milk will turn your soap darker.

ETA: I actually really like the way it looks now, though, the light purple body and pink top. A very pretty result.
Oo I didn’t think of that! I got it off of Amazon from the brand Evoke occu it had good reviews. But it was only about 14 dollars for 4 oz so I can see how maybe it is an fo? It says it is Rosa damascena. Maybe this brand is not honest I don’t know lol.

Yes, this is not essential oil. I went to their Amazon store page and they also sell vanilla "essential oil" (there is no such thing as vanilla essential oil) and sandalwood "essential oil" for $10/4 oz (like rose, sandalwood costs hundreds of dollars for tiny amounts.)

Amazon in general is really not a good place to buy EO's, search this board for recommendations. I use mostly FOs so I'm not the best person to ask, but I know there are threads about this.

Yes, this is not essential oil. I went to their Amazon store page and they also sell vanilla "essential oil" (there is no such thing as vanilla essential oil) and sandalwood "essential oil" for $10/4 oz (like rose, sandalwood costs hundreds of dollars for tiny amounts.)

Amazon in general is really not a good place to buy EO's, search this board for recommendations. I use mostly FOs so I'm not the best person to ask, but I know there are threads about this.
Thanks so much!

Latest posts

Back