First time using a crockpot for soap making?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craftymom0263

Reaction score
I usually make CP soap but I have orders to fill for Christmas and with my work schedule I really don't have the time for them to cure 4-8 weeks. Can I use my CP soap recipe in the crockpot? How long does it have to cure before I can sell it?

Yep, most CP recipes will work for HP, just use full water, and add fragrance / EO while its cooling. Some use sodium lactate to keep it more fluid.

Sorry, while the HP soap may be safe to use right away, it's really not very nice without the same cure as CP.

HP needs a 4 week cure just like CP does. Sodium lactate is a liquid you can buy from soap suppliers, it helps keep the HP more fluid and will help harden the bars some.

HP needs a 4 week cure just like CP does. Sodium lactate is a liquid you can buy from soap suppliers, it helps keep the HP more fluid and will help harden the bars some.

It did not take me nine minutes to type that. If we were dueling I'd feel cheated and dead. Ironically I think it was from you that I first learned about SL.

Relle, some of my friends are buying my soap!!!

Are they buying it to use or to give as gifts? If the latter, then your end customers are not your friends. If the former, maybe just give it away until you know what they are paying for will be worth it - I don't mean to offend with that, I just know how my soap (as well as most people on the forum) has improved from those first batches

Crafty, if your friends are buying your soap don't you want to provide them with the best possible product you can? Honestly curing soap is essential. I know it sounds like it is just to make it safe, and that all it does is to evaporate water but it really does matter to the quality of the soap.

I have made soaps that when they are first made seem fine, they lather good, look good, and are not too drying. However if you use them at that point they are gone in a week, they are soft enough that you could squeeze them into another shape. After 6 weeks they are hard as rocks and even using a bar daily in the shower will last a month. The lather increases incredibly and the soap feels like silk as you wash.

I know you feel under the gun but don't sell an inferior product - especially to your friends!! If you really must make them a soap for right now get creative with some melt and pour. You can make some beautiful swirls and scents relatively easily and quickly.

Good luck to you.

Back