First rebatch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PirateGirl686

Reaction score
I made a batch of CP on Sunday and waited 24 hours before cutting. While cutting I noticed pockets of oil? Any idea what they are? In case they have lye in them should I rebatch? If so I've never rebatched before, any tips? Anyone want to explain directions for rebatching? Lastly if I do rebatch the soap is it then safe to use? Or should it only be used for making laundry detergent? Just want to make sure it's safe before giving to friends and family! Thanks!

I made a batch of CP on Sunday and waited 24 hours before cutting. While cutting I noticed pockets of oil? Any idea what they are? In case they have lye in them should I rebatch? If so I've never rebatched before, any tips? Anyone want to explain directions for rebatching? Lastly if I do rebatch the soap is it then safe to use? Or should it only be used for making laundry detergent? Just want to make sure it's safe before giving to friends and family! Thanks!

Hi! Could you post your recipe with water and lye amounts included? It will help figuring out what went wrong as it could be a matter of things.

In regards to the rebatching, yes you can but only once it is figured out what is causing the issue. If it is because it is lye heavy then it will need to be determined how much oil is needed to add to correct it.

Do you have a crockpot to rebatch in?

Sure my recipe was 2oz beeswax, 10 oz cocoa butter, 15oz coconut oil, 15oz olive oil, and 8.7oz Shea butter. The Distilled water was 19.27oz and the NaOH was 7.04oz. Thanks for your help! And yes I do have a crockpot for soap making.

The lye and water amounts look fine for your oils. I would put the whole thing in an old slow cooker and cook on low until the paste has the consistnecy and appearance of Vaseline.

You can add a little water, I want to say maybe an ounce or two just to get the soap wet. The more water you put in, the softer it will be and will take a longer time to harden and be unmolded.

Turn the crockpot on low and let it melt down like ISG said to an applesauce consistency. You can also add a small amount of a luxury oil if you want to when rebatching. This won't saponify and will be nice for the skin.

If you need to add more fragrance or EO because what you had in the original batch did not make it through the cook, you can do so once it is melted down and below the flashpoint of the FO/EO. But don't add as much as the you would to the first batch, maybe half or 3/4 the amount. Hope this helps :)

I like to add fresh cream when i rebatch, or milk in place of water. Pure personal preference, but i like how the soaps turn out. If the soap is not more than a couple of days old, i don't bother with grating or chopping them to lil pieces. The soap will still be soft and it melts just okay.

Back