What are these pimples?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle La

Reaction score
I made two soaps yesterday. This first one I knew wasn’t going to turn out as planned, but it developed these pimples on the surface, and I don’t know what they are. They weren’t visible till it set up, I’m pretty sure I would’ve noticed. These may get filed in the bin to be honest.

IMG_1330.jpeg

The other one I’m really pleased with. I used a 50/50 mix of sandalwood and vetivert EO and it smells really good. More of a masculine scent than what I’ve made up till now I would say. I had intended to do a swirling thing with this but I was enjoying the texture of the soap after using my stick blender, so I kept stirring with my spatula beyond the point needed. It was so silky and comforting. I HAVE NO REGRETS!

IMG_1332.jpeg

It looks like a combination of stearic spots, TD spots, unmixed purple mica spots, and possibly wire cutter bumps. I also see what looks like glycerin rivers in the lower pink section.

All of those are cosmetic, so please don't throw out this soap. It may not be what you hoped to achieve, but it's still quite pretty and not something likely to offend the eyes of your soap users.

Your second soap is sooooo cute. It's giving grogu aka baby Yoda vibes. What colorants did you use on it?
Thank you :) I used brown iron oxide and chromium oxide green, both predispersed in oil. I learnt my lesson in soap one where you can see flecks of colour.

It looks like a combination of stearic spots, TD spots, unmixed purple mica spots, and possibly wire cutter bumps. I also see what looks like glycerin rivers in the lower pink section.

All of those are cosmetic, so please don't throw out this soap. It may not be what you hoped to achieve, but it's still quite pretty and not something likely to offend the eyes of your soap users.
I’m going to give it a couple of weeks to see how I feel but that sounds like a lot of baggage for one batch of soap. Perhaps it should be kept as a lesson for me in patience. Thank you for the pointers.

I’m going to give it a couple of weeks to see how I feel but that sounds like a lot of baggage for one batch of soap. Perhaps it should be kept as a lesson for me in patience. Thank you for the pointers.
Yup, but still cosmetic only. If you really can't stand to look at the soap, maybe you can find a local shelter that accepts donations. That's what I do with soaps that are safe to use but not as pleasing to the eye. The shelter is THRILLED to receive them - they know my husband's truck by now and come running out to greet him. :)

Yup, but still cosmetic only. If you really can't stand to look at the soap, maybe you can find a local shelter that accepts donations. That's what I do with soaps that are safe to use but not as pleasing to the eye. The shelter is THRILLED to receive them - they know my husband's truck by now and come running out to greet him. :)
A good idea, I’ll find out what items are accepted over here.

A good idea, I’ll find out what items are accepted over here.
If you can't donate them, try giving them out to family and friends as testers. I've never had any of mine rejected because of looks - folks are usually eager to receive them. :)

FWIW, I have been soaping for a lo-o-o-o-ng time and finally found a TD dispersion method that doesn't leave white specks in my soap. I actually sift it through a fine sieve over a bit of oil or water (mine is dispersable in either. The sifted stuff blends right in and doesn't leave any white TD "boogers" throughout the soap.

FWIW, I have been soaping for a lo-o-o-o-ng time and finally found a TD dispersion method that doesn't leave white specks in my soap. I actually sift it through a fine sieve over a bit of oil or water (mine is dispersable in either. The sifted stuff blends right in and doesn't leave any white TD "boogers" throughout the soap.
I’ll try this because my results with TD have been pretty variable so far. Cheers ears!

And, if they are just for personal use, you don't even have to plane them. Once you start using the soap, rehe water and washing will smooth them away.
I’ve chopped a little of the tops off and I don’t find them nearly as objectionable. Might even go so far as to say I like them. Something about the top being super shiny and pimpled made me feel unwell.

@Michelle La , I'm with everyone who says "don't throw it away!" It's always good to get a "diagnosis" on the soap in the hopes of avoiding the ill in future batches. But, I'm still struggling with how to best mix TD so that it blends better-hoping to rid myself of TD specks and streaks. I think anyone you give the soap to will enjoy it. I actually really like the colors in your first soap. I think it will look really good sitting there in a soap dish. Did you use "brown iron oxide and chromium oxide green", on both batches? Or just the second? I've only recently started giving away my CP soaps because my earlier batches only just finally cured. Even though some are a little funky and have what I know to be newbie mistakes- everyone seems impressed. I'm like a cat with a bird in its mouth- I hope no giftee of mine surfs through this soap forum to see the amazing and flawless work by more experienced soapmakers ;)
BTW, your second soap is great! Smooth and creamy!

If you can't donate them, try giving them out to family and friends as testers. I've never had any of mine rejected because of looks - folks are usually eager to receive them. :)

I have a joke caveat on my soap label that says, “Never tested on animals, only family and friends.”

The first had a little poorly mixed ultramarine pink, ultramarine violet, and manganese violet.
@Michelle La , well, those micas make a little more sense for the first soap. I like their subtlety. I might have to try to get those shades with the micas I have. I hope you're feeling better about those soaps today!

Back