First goat's milk soap: does this recipe look ok?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would freeze the milk and then break it up, then add the lye a little at a time, stirring continuously. Make sure all the lye is dissolved before adding the mixture to your oils.

For me with that mild of soap I would lower the super fat to 5%. Especially if you are going to go with 100% milk. According to my soap calculator 3.5 gives a superfat of 10% and 3.7 gives one of 5%. Otherwise looks good for a creamy and mild soap.

Yes I would use the higher amount of lye. But before you change anything take some time and do some searchers on here for "superfat" so you have a better understanding of what it means. Then run the recipe thru a lye calculator of your choice before making. It's always a good idea to do this for any formula you find in books or on line. A simple typo can make a big difference in the safety of your soap. And honestly there are some really bad instructions and recipes out there. Feel free to ask any questions, there are a lot of people here to help you.

I think that's what sistrum means. I did not run the recipe through a lye calculator. However, I use a 10% SF (also called lye discount) all the time with no problems, if you want to leave the original lye amount as is.

Superfat or lye discount refers to the excess amount of fat above and beyond the lye needed to saponify it. This cushion is fundamental to safe soap making. As SAP values are approximates only and as small measurement errors might occur, this provides insurance to ensure that your soap is not lye heavy or harsh.

I haven't calculated the % of fat in goat milk (which also varies) which would also contribute to your superfat. But I generally don't bother with animal milks. I do with coconut milk as the fat content is much greater.

Personally I like the divided method the recipe describes (mix lye in water, let cool, then add balance of goat's milk). For me it's easier than freezing the goat's milk.

Hope this helps!

Hi I am new to soap making but just made my first GM soap this weekend. I saw that recipe that you mentioned and considered following. Don't know is you watch many videos but here is one that I recommend
[ame]http://youtu.be/bdp4zy7b9Ag[/ame]
I followed her technique. It is a three part video but I think worth watching.
I think my soap turned out good.

Still trying to grasp the whole lye water ratio and SF.

Then run the recipe thru a lye calculator of your choice before making. It's always a good idea to do this for any formula you find in books or on line. A simple typo can make a big difference in the safety of your soap. .

Hi again!
Well, I tried to use soap calc - but how can I calculate the recipe as there's nowhere to put goat's milk? How do I specify goats milk?

I don't believe that soapcal has goatsmilk to select. GM is typically used as all or part of your liquid/water replacement. So whatever your recipe from soapcal says to use as water use some or all GM. Just know that GM will add fats so that will contribute to your SF total. Some soapers use frozen GM for all of their liquid/water and s-lo-w-l-y add your lye to it (to keep it from burning). Others use water for half of the liquid (lye is dissolved in that) and use the other half as GM which is added at some time while making your soap (in with the oils, just before trace, or after trace). Soap at a cooler temp if you're adding during soaping to help keep the GM from burning.

Yep, thanks f0r advice. Did that in soapcalc and recipe looks ok.
Now, how do I put the lye in the frozen milk? I know it should be slush, but then how do I know the lye crystals are actually melted? If I was to use water for the lye, how much should I use (as in what's the minimum amount of water fro 3.7oz of lye)?

I freeze my GM into cubes, then sprinkle in a tablespoon or 2 of lye. Stir it well and leave it sit for a bit. It will melt some of the frozen milk. Then repeat slowly until all of the lye has been added. It does take a while, the key is to make sure each addition of lye is fully dissolved before adding more.

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

have an ice water bath on hand in case your lye solution starts getting a little warm.

Latest posts

Back