first cocoa butter w/ choc swirled soap advice needed!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubato456

Reaction score
the swirl was a complete failure again...i think. i don't know what it is about swirling....i just can't get the hang of it. i loved working w/ my cocoa butter, first time ever. i had my 2 tsp of dark choc cocoa powder carefully measured out....got my uncolored soap to light trace, poured out some to set aside to add the cocoa to.....poured light colored soap into mold. quickly whisked cocoa powder into part set aside. carefully poured dark on top of light in mold. i used a very thin wooden skewer to swirl.....but i think my ratios of dark to light must have been off.....i just ended up with a big blob of dark chocolate on top and no visible swirl....

oh well it sure smells good! i used the non deoderized cocoa butter. yum. can't wait to cut it and see what a slice looks like. does anyone have any hints they can give me about swirling. i used the 9 x 5 silicone loaf pans and usually make about 2 lbs of soap at a time.

i'll post pix tomorrow when i'ts soap but i'm not optimistic
:cry:

Hey, if it's chocolate you can't go worng! :)
Maybe it will be fine and better than you think.

Hi Rubato456
Swirling is sometimes very elusive and frustrating to say the least .This swirling method works for me most times. :wink:
After you get your soap to light trace and your colored portion ready.Pour about an inch of plain traced soap in your mold and then pour a thin line of your colored soap up the mold about an inch from the side and go down the mold the same way.Depending on what kind of mold you use, you can put a line down the center too.Then pour your plain soap onto the back of a large spoon or spatula , (I use a piece of 2x4 covered with freezer paper, it is the right width for my mold ) , pour the soap slowly over whatever utensil you use , so as not to let it disturb your color lines to much.Then repeat the color if you like and your mold is deeper.Then pour your top layer the same way.Then another line of the swirl color for the top.
You can put the colored soap in an snake design or whatever you like it doesn't have to be a straight line.
I find a skewer to thin to make good swirls, but that is just me. I use a chopstick , or the top of a bamboo knitting needle (it has a little ball on it) , or a coat hanger bent into a U. Some different swirl methods : go angle wise starting at the short corner to the other end and then back up the mold on angle again or you can do circles, or circle 8's or whatever strikes your fancy. This works well for me in my log mold . I think it would be fine in your loaf mold too .

Wow that was long winded .whew .
I hope this helps you out. :)

Kitn

Great advice kitn. Do you think the slower the better is a good technique? or is insulation just as important so speed needs to be quick(ish)?

Soap_for_breakfast said:
Great advice kitn. Do you think the slower the better is a good technique? or is insulation just as important so speed needs to be quick(ish)?

I don't worry about insulating right away . I soap at room temperature , to give me some time ( doesn't always work). Then I play with my colors or the top of the soap log..I have spent 3/4 of an hour just trying different things with the top and then I cover the soap . This is all good unless you use a fast moving FO. :wink:

HTH
Kitn

rubato456 said:
that helps alot! thanks for such a detailed response, much appreciated!

You are most welcome .If you google swirling soap tutorial , there are some out there that are pretty helpful.

Kitn

Latest posts

Back