First batches of soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the deli paper so the regular paper doesn't absorb oils from the soap?
Yes. It’s wax coated deli papers. I use these:

Logan Wrap interfolded Deli Wrap Cera paper 500 sheets https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0090RNE3E/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The midget size works great because you don’t have to cut them. They are perfect for most square/ rectangle soaps. The cigars band seals the edge and seams...only one piece of tape/glue dot on the cigar band seam.

Total cost for packaging/ labeling is under 10 cents if you use high yield color laser. That doesn’t include labor. It takes me about 10 mins to wrap 14 soaps (size of my mold). I do it while watching tv so I don’t factor that in. And I enjoy wrapping soaps....very therapeutic!

Wow your soaps are absolutly beautiful i think your being modest saying your not talented for making those. Iv been making soaps since august and am still learning but even my best batch wasnt as good as yours. You clearly have a talent producing your first soaps like that. Mistakes happen thats how we learn what not to do :)
Haha! Thanks so much. I’m still learning lots. Maybe one day I’ll post pictures of the epic fails that I’ve had. It’s very humbling to look in the box of discards and see all the $$ sitting in there...mostly due to me taking giant steps when I should have been taking baby ones!

Last edited by a moderator:
Grate up your failures for confetti soap. No loss that way! The soaps you posted are beautiful and I also use the same type of sandwich wrap you use, but not for wrapping soap, since I shrink wrap. After wrapping soaps and selling for a year or so I became very tired of wrapping soap. :D You are correct the sandwich wrap works well for wrapping and gives a natural look

Using just a cigar band is very common with soap makers who sell. Minimal packaging and simple to wrap.

Apparently what iv reads wrong then. Seems to be alot of misinformation on the internet about soaping in general. i know iv seen lots like that with just the cigar bad but didnt know if people just did them like that for shows kinda like a short term packaging

Apparently what iv reads wrong then. Seems to be alot of misinformation on the internet about soaping in general. i know iv seen lots like that with just the cigar bad but didnt know if people just did them like that for shows kinda like a short term packaging
I’ve read that too on the internet but didn’t believe it;) I’ve also read that shrink wrap isn’t good either but I don’t believe that waiter...unless you are wrapping before fully cured.

I’ve read that too on the internet but didn’t believe it;) I’ve also read that shrink wrap isn’t good either but I don’t believe that waiter...unless you are wrapping before fully cured.

Until shunts comments i had no reason to not believe it. i mean it would make sense that it might get some sort of absorbtion going on. But shunt has never steered me wrong so i trust her word over a random site i do however like wrapping my soaps in wax paper because they are just for gifts at the moment and keeps them from mingling with different scents. if stored in the same box thats what i do with my candles and melts because they do mingle if they are stored with weaker scents so id prefer to avoid that happening to my soaps

Until shunts comments i had no reason to not believe it. i mean it would make sense that it might get some sort of absorbtion going on. But shunt has never steered me wrong so i trust her word over a random site i do however like wrapping my soaps in wax paper because they are just for gifts at the moment and keeps them from mingling with different scents. if stored in the same box thats what i do with my candles and melts because they do mingle if they are stored with weaker scents so id prefer to avoid that happening to my soaps

Thanks. I try not to mislead anyone. Generally speak from experience. [emoji3]

It’s very humbling to look in the box of discards and see all the $$ sitting in there...mostly due to me taking giant steps when I should have been taking baby ones!
I think a lot of use newbies are guilty of that.. Good thing I haven't made a very big fail that could not be fixed by rebatch, bar one. Pun intended. I tried to rebatch powdered soap into CP, grated soap in the slow cooker, more grated soap in the microwave.. might become an expert on that if I keep it going hahaha

Thanks for the tips on wrapping! I've not done any yet coz they're all still curing but I planned on giving away some to family this Christmas coz I need the shelf space for more soap haha

I've not done any yet coz they're all still curing but I planned on giving away some to family this Christmas coz I need the shelf space for more soap haha
I found these cool wood boxes from ikea. They stack and have handles and let the soap breath. And best part - $6. After 4 week cure I’ve been putting in those for final weeks/months of cure time. That frees up my shelves for more soap!
https://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/10292357/

Here are my first batch of soaps. I named them Honey grapefruit Citrus. I used a honey mp base. I also stirred in lemon and orange eos, and grapefruit fo. everyone seems to love them
Honey Grapefruit Citrus Soap.jpg
Honey Grapefruit Citrus Soap.jpg

Lol...thanks! Not so much talented as lucky right now. Talent would indicate my ability to repeat and get same/similar results. I do not possess that skill yet!
If a name is 'taken' how does one go about finding out that it is, and how does one go about 'taking' a name?

If a name is 'taken' how does one go about finding out that it is, and how does one go about 'taking' a name?
Not sure I understand the question? If it is reference to what I’ve named my soaps - I did an internet search several times....not sure what else to do unless it’s registered as a business in a particular city/state. In that case - search the city or state website for business names...an exhaustive process to be sure

Since I do outdoor markets I do not use cigar band, which are popular, because as the soap continues to shrink the bands can fall off and they get pretty beat up. I use 2x4 labels which I put inside the shrink wrap. That way my labels do not get beat up and I can hit the soaps with a heat gun to tighten up the wrap. Sorry to all of you that do not approve of shrink wrap.

Sorry to all of you that do not approve of shrink wrap.
I say do whatever works best for you! I only gift soaps ( or hope to soon) so durability isn’t much of a concern. I would think shrink wrap would protect them much better than what I’m doing.

Great job! Loved the labels. Gotta learn how to make them.
Thank you!! I had a prior life as a photographer so I am pretty versed in Photoshop so that’s easy for me. I tried in Microsoft word and it was too much work and troublesome to get margins right/spacing/etc...I gave up and went back to photoshop!

Not sure I understand the question? If it is reference to what I’ve named my soaps - I did an internet search several times....not sure what else to do unless it’s registered as a business in a particular city/state. In that case - search the city or state website for business names...an exhaustive process to be sure
It seemed to me that your name was fairly generic and would be hard to 'own'. I was wondering if people actually owned soap names. Trademarks are inexpensive, if local; but get spendy if they are in many places. Sometimes an industry has it's own practices: for instance, I hybridize iris and there is an iris registry. Since I am new to this, I was wondering how people went about naming soaps and, of course, how not to ruffle features. Your soaps really are special. And I also love the packaging.

It seemed to me that your name was fairly generic and would be hard to 'own'. I was wondering if people actually owned soap names. Trademarks are inexpensive, if local; but get spendy if they are in many places. Sometimes an industry has it's own practices: for instance, I hybridize iris and there is an iris registry. Since I am new to this, I was wondering how people went about naming soaps and, of course, how not to ruffle features. Your soaps really are special. And I also love the packaging.
Thanks for the compliment! I agree that names are hard to “own” in this hobby/craft/biz....at least from my limited experience. I picked a name that was part of my history and meant something to me. Since I am only giving to friends, family, and my Airbnb guests....I should be ok

Latest posts

Back