Finely ground oatmeal

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is not the same as colloidal oatmeal. Colloidal oatmeal is put through a steam process that changes the structure of the oatmeal, and is finely ground- it basically dissolves in solution. Ground oatmeal, untreated, will not do that. I finely grind and sift myself, but I don't call it colloidal oatmeal.

I'm unclear about what colloidal oatmeal is or how it's different from ground/pulverized rolled oats. Isn't it when the groats are steam-rolled that it's called "rolled oats"? If so, when grinding rolled oats, wouldn't that be the last step in making colloidal oatmeal?

Is baby oatmeal different than regualr oats?

Baby oatmeal is oatmeal that has been cooked, dehydrated, then pulverized. The oat powder is already cooked, not raw. Therefore, once it touches moisture, it rehydrates into the fluffy stuff that oatmeal is, rather than being scratchy/exfoliating like raw grits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Baby oatmeal is oatmeal that has been cooked, dehydrated, then pulverized. The oat powder is already cooked, not raw. Therefore, once it touches moisture, it rehydrates into the fluffy stuff that oatmeal is, rather than being scratchy/exfoliating like raw grits.
Which is much closer to colloidal oatmeal than just regular ground oats.

i've used baby oats, finely ground oats, and even oat flour. i have to say, i like baby the best, followed by oat flour and finely ground oats. the three are almost the same, only subtle difference in feel me thinks.

I'm unclear about what colloidal oatmeal is or how it's different from ground/pulverized rolled oats. Isn't it when the groats are steam-rolled that it's called "rolled oats"? If so, when grinding rolled oats, wouldn't that be the last step in making colloidal oatmeal?

Colloidal oatmeal is pulverized microscopic oatmeal suspended into a mixture of something else. If you grind oatmeal it may not be quite "colloidal" status, if it is it will disperse in water quickly and easily and be extremely small particles. There is a standard in the united states in preparation and I don't know exactly what that is.

If you are making your own and selling it, do not call it "colloidal oatmeal" on your label. Doing so without meeting the standard could be against FDA regulations. I would label it only as "oatmeal", "oatmeal flour", or "powdered oatmeal". Also I would not claim any healing properties since you would be turning your product into a drug. This only applies to the USA -- I don't know other countries standards at all.

I like oatmeal pulsed in a coffee grinder for soap. I like it almost to flour but not quite for a little scratch. If I were to make it for creams, lotions or butters again. I would run it through a flour grinder and then sift it to get it as small as possible. I have made it from the coffee grinder and it's too grainy for creams. My next attempt will be from a flour grinder + sift, or the coffee grinder + sift.

Hope this helps a little.

I must have missed that the colloidal oatmeal is "suspended into a mixture of something else"! Colloidal means it's suspended through something else. D'oh.

Last edited:
It is not the same as colloidal oatmeal. Colloidal oatmeal is put through a steam process that changes the structure of the oatmeal, and is finely ground- it basically dissolves in solution. Ground oatmeal, untreated, will not do that. I finely grind and sift myself, but I don't call it colloidal oatmeal.

from here. Yes, I know, they're trying to sell a product, but this is what colloidal oatmeal truly is.

interesting read, Ann. i thought one can make her own colloidal oatmeal based on the info i got from here. i don't know much about that site (who made it and what), only that it's a site dedicated to all things colloidal oatmeal.

i remember seeing colloidal oatmeal for sale on an organic shop, it was very expensive (40 bucks for 500 gr). i didn't buy it of course :D

Colloidal oatmeal is pulverized microscopic oatmeal suspended into a mixture of something else. If you grind oatmeal it may not be quite "colloidal" status, if it is it will disperse in water quickly and easily and be extremely small particles. There is a standard in the united states in preparation and I don't know exactly what that is.

If you are making your own and selling it, do not call it "colloidal oatmeal" on your label. Doing so without meeting the standard could be against FDA regulations. I would label it only as "oatmeal", "oatmeal flour", or "powdered oatmeal". Also I would not claim any healing properties since you would be turning your product into a drug. This only applies to the USA -- I don't know other countries standards at all.

I like oatmeal pulsed in a coffee grinder for soap. I like it almost to flour but not quite for a little scratch. If I were to make it for creams, lotions or butters again. I would run it through a flour grinder and then sift it to get it as small as possible. I have made it from the coffee grinder and it's too grainy for creams. My next attempt will be from a flour grinder + sift, or the coffee grinder + sift.

Hope this helps a little.

Always appreciate your feedback and ideas Earthen Step, always, always. I know the labeling arena is a real mess. Never do I intend to nor ever will I claim superpowers, healing powers, or intrinsic miracles in anything that I make; it is sad because it gives people a false hope and that is something I do not want to do -not even alluding to it. However, I am making certain products that help with some relief for psoriasis and eczema like pine tar, jewelweed, oat baths and such that do actually give some sort of relief to the sufferer.

When I get to selling status I'll read up on correct wording. Soapmaking is really an art though. You have made some products that dedicted soapmakers can see took some advanced thought into making. Keep it going, good luck in your ventures.

I'm unclear about what colloidal oatmeal is or how it's different from ground/pulverized rolled oats. Isn't it when the groats are steam-rolled that it's called "rolled oats"? If so, when grinding rolled oats, wouldn't that be the last step in making colloidal oatmeal? Baby oatmeal is oatmeal that has been cooked, dehydrated, then pulverized. The oat powder is already cooked, not raw. Therefore, once it touches moisture, it rehydrates into the fluffy stuff that oatmeal is, rather than being scratchy/exfoliating like raw grits.

You see now why I asked this question. There is more to it than simply oats since there is actually difference between them all. So far we have:

1. Steel cut oats
  2. Non steel cut oats
  3. Baby oats
  4. Colloidal oats
  5. Oat flour
  6. Finely ground oats
  7. Oat extract/oil

interesting read, Ann. i thought one can make her own colloidal oatmeal based on the info i got from here. i don't know much about that site (who made it and what), only that it's a site dedicated to all things colloidal oatmeal.

i remember seeing colloidal oatmeal for sale on an organic shop, it was very expensive (40 bucks for 500 gr). i didn't buy it of course :D

LOL thnaks seven. It has been said that colloidal oatmeal is a suspension in something else, although in water the c/o is actually in suspension. Another question though. Q: Do you see any difference according to that site between oat flour and colloidal oatmeal? :think:

Make your own

Latest posts

Back