February SMF Challenge- Soap dough

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uhhh, I jumped the gun. No use lyeing, Earlene saw me {AHEM! - and joined me}. But sheesh, it' was soooooap slippery to stare at the dough for weeks! Now I just knead to roll with the consequences and clean my mess.

Thank you, my dear Carabou, for starting the entry thingy. I hared off to pull the survey together and forgot. I appreciate you looking out for me.

Entry List:

1. CaraBou - Doh! I need to figure this out!
2. earlene - So exciting!

3. amd - tapping into my inner 3 year old
4. Misschief - pulling on my thinking cap
5. cherrycoke216 - I remember when in kindergarten, my play doh turned out to be a ball looking like turd......Bwahahaha!
6. BattleGnome - now to find the time....
7. dibbles - this should be interesting...
8. jewels621 - I’m only in if there really is a turd ball category.
9. SaltedFig - Playing the doe
10. SoapAddict- count me in.
11. Primrose - There ya go!
12. Soapprentice- my crafty side is itching for this ;)

5. cherrycoke216 - I remember when in kindergarten, my play doh turned out to be a ball looking like turd......Bwahahaha!
12. Soapprentice- my crafty side is itching for this ;)
13. Artemis - I've got the dough, have I got the time?

12. Soapprentice- my crafty side is itching for this;)
14. Roselyne

Last week while watching so many soap dough videos, I noticed that 'From Grace to You' youtuber uses a food processor to knead her soap clay. And Vicki Frost (Black Cat Blues) also mentions that she prefers to do that as well. So I decided to try it myself because one day my hands were getting too tired from kneading soap dough.

All I can say is, Wow! It works wonderfully. Just a couple of seconds in the mini-processor and Bam! no lumps, easy to work with soap dough. Sure, a bit on the messy side and extra clean-up, but I like it!

I colored my dough as I made it. I'm pretty happy with my colors, but I might like to play with the colors a bit. Do you think color can be added to the dough now that it's workable? I may have to experiment a little. Work the colorant right into the dough? Mix it with a tiny bit of oil or something?

Last edited:
I colored my dough as I made it. I'm pretty happy with my colors, but I might like to play with the colors a bit. Do you think color can be added to the dough now that it's workable? I may have to experiment a little. Work the colorant right into the dough? Mix it with a tiny bit of oil or something?

I don't have much experience with soap dough, but you can add dry mica to it and knead it in. Wear gloves :)

Hey I'm just fixing soapaddict415's user name to add the 415 part, in case she didn't get password later this month.

10. SoapAddict415 - count me in.
14. Roselyne

10. SoapAddict415 - count me in.
14. Roselyne
15. SunRiseArts (ノ^_^)ノ

Last edited:
Mine is in snap lock bags in the fridge. I poured directly into the bag when I made it. It already feels fairly firm when I poked it this morning on my way to work. Hopefully it remains pliable. How long before you can start playing with it?

Primrose, I would wait until saponification is complete before working with it, which could be a couple days or even three. I thought mine was still too sticky at day three so I just worked them into balls and re-wrapped them for a few more days. 5-7 days seems to yield a dough that isn't going to stick everywhere. I made both Bee's recipe and my own; mine seems to be stickier than hers even though mine is at least a couple weeks old and I used the same % of oils for water. Her recipe uses a higher percentage of hard oils than my basic recipe, but I don't know if that is what makes the difference.

Yeah I did my own recipe with 50% lard, 25% olive, 20% coconut and 5% castor, mostly because I didn't want to use so much castor oil when its fairly expensive for me! I used a 30% lye concentration and I noticed Bee's was 29-ish so I figured close enough. In this weather my normal loafs using this recipe stay too soft to cut for days, so hopefully it will work. I'll try to be patient and just amuse myself by squishing them in the bags for a few more days

Latest posts

Back