February SMF Challenge- Soap dough

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. CaraBou - Doh! I need to figure this out!
2. earlene - So exciting!
3. amd - tapping into my inner 3 year old
4. Misschief - pulling on my thinking cap
5. cherrycoke216 - I remember when in kindergarten, my play doh turned out to be a ball looking like turd......Bwahahaha!
6. BattleGnome - now to find the time....
7. dibbles - this should be interesting...
8. jewels621 - I’m only in if there really is a turd ball category.
9. SaltedFig - Playing the doe
10. SoapAddict415 - count me in.
11. Primrose - There ya go!
12. Soapprentice- my crafty side is itching for this;)
13. Artemis - I've got the dough, have I got the time?
14. Roselyne
15. SunRiseArts (ノ^_^)ノ
16. neonstudy

5. cherrycoke216 - I remember when in kindergarten, my play doh turned out to be a ball looking like turd......Bwahahaha!
14. Roselyne
15. SunRiseArts (ノ^_^)ノ
16. Neonstudy

14. Roselyne
15. SunRiseArts (ノ^_^)ノ
16. Neonstudy
17. Serene- Hoping I can make it.

14. Roselyne
15. SunRiseArts (ノ^_^)ノ
16. Neonstudy
17. Serene- Hoping I can make it.
18. scard - I think I can..

Serene, I was hoping you would show up! You were very encouraging when I showed my first picture of trying a caning technique. I'm still working on it!

Scard, you can! If you've ever made a snowman or a sandcastle, you've already developed enough skill. If you end up with something wonky, you can say you gave it a Tim Burton flare. ;)

Newbie,

I have been reading along the way. Two moves within a year and a half across states so have not had much time. Finally settled in NH and with a soap room!! The guy I cook for scored major points for finding us a home with that particular room. Will show pics later. Glad to be back. PS- I want to see those canes!

Hey I'm just fixing soapaddict415's user name to add the 415 part, in case she didn't get password later this month.

14. Roselyne
Thank you [emoji16]

Wow! That horse is so cool! I made soap dough last night & tried using it today. I managed to create something for the challenge. Nothing as beautiful as that horse or anything I've seen on YouTube lol. I'm not sure if it's my recipe & or my inexperience with soap dough but I don't think this form of soaping is for me. It was fun trying something new. That's what I love about the monthly challenges. They motivate me to try new things [emoji16].

. I'm not sure if it's my recipe & or my inexperience with soap dough but I don't think this form of soaping is for me. It was fun trying something new. That's what I love about the monthly challenges. They motivate me to try new things [emoji16].

I'm in the same boat. It's fun and all but I don't think soap dough is something I'll add into my regular rotation. I'm still having problems trying to come up with something for the challenge. I have ideas but can't settle on any one thing.

Soapaddict, the dough needs to sit for about 5-7 days before it's really at a texture to use. It is probably still "hot" by which I mean not fully saponified so manipulating it with your hands could be very hard on your skin. The dough also will not be as workable as it will be in a few days so if you re-wrap it and make it airtight, you might find it easier to create something.

Using soap dough for decoration or embeds is definitely time-intensive. Still, adding another tool to the belt to draw on when you wish is always worth a go.

After finally finding time to play today, I think I might need to scrap my original idea. I'm coming to realize I can't keep the shapes I need after I mold other dough around them. There might be work-arounds involving less dough, but I might just cut my losses and try a new course with the strengths I am seeing. Time is not on my side though, as my next two weekends are packed with other plans. So, I'm trying not to panic!

Today I saw a segment on a tv show (after Meet the Press, I just left the tv on as background noise) that was kind of cool as related to this challenge. It was about creating a ceramic leaf using and actual leaf to emboss onto clay using a roller (a bottle was used in this case) on top of the leaf as it sat on top of the rolled out clay. I have been wondering what I might have laying around the house to create interesting designs on the surface of soap dough, but had not thought about leaves. Of course all the leave around here are dead and gone or coated with snow, so I won't be doing that for this challenge.

Still, I think it broadens my perspective of items that can be used for creating surface designs.

Soapaddict, the dough needs to sit for about 5-7 days before it's really at a texture to use. It is probably still "hot" by which I mean not fully saponified so manipulating it with your hands could be very hard on your skin. The dough also will not be as workable as it will be in a few days so if you re-wrap it and make it airtight, you might find it easier to create something.

Thanks Newbie! That might explain the texture issue I had. I've got quite a bit of cp dough left over so I can practice.

Has anyone tried the MP version? I followed Soap Queens directions but it was very sticky until it cooled down then it was slightly pliable but not very moldable. Simple instructions but I'm thinking I did something wrong.

Im so looking forward to sign up for this. all the challenges are really great way to push you to next level and try new things. I got my micas late and made a batch of doh.. my 1st time i wanted a vegan recipe so altered the one i found... Hopefully i will sign up for this. if my soap dough is a success.. thanks to newbie for following up with me..

Latest posts

Back