Ever make a soap you just could not stand the smell of?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshleyR

Reaction score
I did the other day!

YUCK!

I decided to make a "gardeners soap" using tomato paste and rosemary EO. It smells absolutely PUTRID.

I have seen this type of soap sold by many different soapmakers and I don't understand how anyone could possibly want to wash with a soap this stinky!

It is going straight into the garbage as soon as I finish writing this post. Every time I get a whiff of it I get nauseous!

Have you ever made a soap that turned out to be incredibly stinky? For those of you that sell your soaps, do you make any "stinky" soaps for other people, or do you only make soaps that you like?

I'm sure someone out there *may* like the smell of my stinky gardeners soap, but I find it so disgusting, there is no way I can keep it in my house!

Ashley, you brought me memories...
I make soap with Biodiesel byproduct. When I made my first batch, since I didn't know where to get EOs, I used an FO I bought at Wal Mart. To make things worse, it was a ROSE FO. The soap seized so fast I could barely shove it in the mold, and, once I cut it, the scent lasted about a week.
After that, the stench was nauseating.

However, I used all of it, down to the last bar. First, because I fell in love with the way it felt, and the way it cleaned, and second, because, believe it or not, you get used to the smell.

I'd recommend you, if you didn't get rid of it already, keep it.

My very first batch of soap, I wanted to do something really cool and herbal. So a tossed in a lot of eucalyptus and rosemary with turmeric to colour..... EKKK! the stench made my eyes water, the turmeric and eucalyptus seamed to combine into a batch of steaming fumes. It also never hardened completely and I cooked it several times but never turned out well. I think a made a patatoe shape out of some of it, and I found it in the garage the other day in a box! At least the patatoe eventually hardened, but the smell brings back bad memories... It was brown and spotted like a patatoe :)

do you make any "stinky" soaps for other people, or do you only make soaps that you like?

I will only sell items that I like. I can usually find a compromise. If someone really wants rose (which gives me a headache) I sell them on the idea of lilac, etc. I just would not be able to sell a product I did not love. I have to be able to say "Here is your soap, it's just wonderful & I know you will love it too!" Can't do it...

Yes, I think I am with you Tabitha. I do not like lavender, however I managed to concoct an EO blend with lavender which I actually love now, all because a friend really insisted I make her a lavender scented body butter. As I adore May Chang (Litsea Cubeba) I just added lavender to that until I could smell both EOs (about 2:1 ratio) and then added a dash of patchouli too. Everyone who has smelled it really likes it! :wink:

Ashey, will the smell cure down to something nicer over the 4-6 weeks? It may be worth putting it away (somewhere far away! :lol: ) until then, before you decide to trash it?

Tanya :)

Oh yeah. Earlier this week I made a soap using patchouli FO from Nature's Garden and patchouli leaf powder as an additive.

My soap ended up smelling like mud and beer. I threw it out.

Will only use patchouli EO from here on out. And I won't be ordering from NG again.... not happy with any of the FO's I ordered from them.

AshleyR said:
I did the other day!

YUCK!

I decided to make a "gardeners soap" using tomato paste and rosemary EO. It smells absolutely PUTRID.

I have seen this type of soap sold by many different soapmakers and I don't understand how anyone could possibly want to wash with a soap this stinky!

It is going straight into the garbage as soon as I finish writing this post. Every time I get a whiff of it I get nauseous!

Have you ever made a soap that turned out to be incredibly stinky? For those of you that sell your soaps, do you make any "stinky" soaps for other people, or do you only make soaps that you like?

I'm sure someone out there *may* like the smell of my stinky gardeners soap, but I find it so disgusting, there is no way I can keep it in my house!

i made lavender, cant stand it, but.. people like it.
Also, made cherry almond, soo strong, hubby said get it out of here! I didnt like it either, sold all bars for 1$.
I dont make too many soaps that i dont like, hard to sell, if i dont like it.

Ashley, do you recall the "Jason, Kill Me Now I am Too Stinky To Live" soap? I don't know what I was thinking - I must have gotten the combo somewhere off the internet because I can't imagine I came up with this disaster myself - but I made a blend of Lavender, Lemongrass, Cinnamon Leaf and Patchouli, and it reeked like cheap cologne combined with insecticide. I left a few bars intact for 10 weeks (the rest I've rebatched), hoping that the revolting fragrance would improve, but it is still hideous.

I would definitely make a special order of a smell I didn't like for someone who wanted it. Whatever. If it doesn't have to sit in my house for me to smell, I wouldn't care.

I made the mistake of adding an obscene amount of brambleberry's "relaxing" FO to a coconut milk soap. My entire 2 bedroom apartment (a decently sized one I might add) reeked of sickeningly sweet fudgy vanilla. I covered the soap, closed the cure room door, and opened the window a crack (in the dead of winter!) Nothing lessened the smell. I got the stomach flu while that smell permeated the entire house, and so it was in the trash soon after that. It still took the apt. another week to lose the smell.

I still have half an oz, and I'm scared to take the cap off! The thought of it still makes my stomach turn. :?

I made Guinness soap. The smell stunk up my house for hours. The soap smells pretty mild and not too unpleasant now but for a while it was vile.

Latest posts

Back