Not sure what I do a scent morphed soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelissaG

Reaction score
I have no idea what happened or why. The soap started out smelling like banana candy. Now? Well, I don't want to say what it exactly smells like but it's disgusting. I don't want to throw it out but no one will buy it the way it is. Do you think I could shred it and make confetti soap? Or do you think it would be a problem?

Thanks muchly.

I have no idea what happened or why. The soap started out smelling like banana candy. Now? Well, I don't want to say what it exactly smells like but it's disgusting. I don't want to throw it out but no one will buy it the way it is. Do you think I could shred it and make confetti soap? Or do you think it would be a problem?

Thanks muchly.
If it isn't fully cured yet, I'd let it sit for awhile. It might continue to change and end up being okay. Otherwise, I would let it sit until it fades enough that it can be easily overshadowed by a new fragrance and then make confetti with it. If it smells disgusting now, it will probably still smell disgusting shredded up and in new soap.

Maybe have someone else smell it too and see if they agree. It might just be your nose with this FO.

I've has some FO morph terribly and no amount of time fixed it. In the end, I have tossed whole batches due to the scent.

If it isn't fully cured yet, I'd let it sit for awhile. It might continue to change and end up being okay. Otherwise, I would let it sit until it fades enough that it can be easily overshadowed by a new fragrance and then make confetti with it. If it smells disgusting now, it will probably still smell disgusting shredded up and in new soap.

Maybe have someone else smell it too and see if they agree. It might just be your nose with this FO.
Thanks Dibbles, I'll give it a shot.

I've has some FO morph terribly and no amount of time fixed it. In the end, I have tossed whole batches due to the scent.
That's what I'm worried about. It would be $20 down the drain so I hope not.

Shouldn’t manufacturers of FOs that morph to such unpleasant scents (odor, stink) state on the label and/or testing notes that they’re not suited for soap?
I doubt it was intentional. Probably a reaction with something. Could be anything. They morph sometimes just like colors.

Without knowing exactly how bad it smells, you also might be surprised that people might like it. I had one morph that to me smelled like smoked or cured meat. I had a friend smell it and they didn't hate it. I named it a hunting-themed name and it sold out. To each their own?

I would stick it on the top shelf and revisit in a couple of months. I had a FO that was just lovely when I poured it into the mold, then two days later, it had morphed into this bad chemical smell. So I stuck it on the top shelf and left it for a couple of months and while it wasn't quite as lovely as it was when I poured it, it was still nice.

So again, wait and see what happens. Best case the scent comes back. Second best, the scent fades, doesn't resurface when you wash with it and you can use with another overriding scent. Worst case...you toss it and write it off as R&D.

I used an FO once that was advertised for soap and had some testing notes and reviews. It was supposed to be a pine/spruce smell, but it wound up smelling like fruity pebbles about a week after I cut it. I wrote to the company and told them what had happened, figured it was something they'd want to know about, and they replied to me saying it must have "flashed", but I am not sure I understand what that means.

I've also had FOs that smelled great OOB, then were horrid and medicine-y for weeks after cutting, only to become tolerable 2-3 months later.

It's so disappointing when a FO morphs, and I totally get wanting to immediately do something constructive with the offending bars, but I agree with everyone else, wait a WHILE, you might be surprised.

And if its still stanky after several weeks, then you know that rebatching would probably have compounded the issue.

Latest posts

Back