Essential oils in candle making

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eveline

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Any advice on using essential oils in candle making instead of fragrance oil? I have done a little testing but results weren't good, OK cold throw but hot throw weak. I am finding that some natural fragrances are too heady, strong, artificial. Maybe I should try a base note or heavier scent essential oil. Any experience out there much appreciated.

I have tried EOs in candles in the past, with no luck, just no hot throw. So went back to candle fragrance oils. Most of mine I get from Candle Science or Bramble Berry and customers seem to like them. I am in the U.S. so don't know what may be available near you.

A base note or heavier EO won't yield much better results. I have found, as others have found and now you are finding, that EO's for the most part just do not work well in candles. I tried for years on and off to get them to work, getting EO's from every reputable supplier out there, and they just are not going to throw as well as FO's formulated specifically for candle making.

I have tried many times with many different EOs at many different concentrations....and I have never been able to get a decent throw using EOs in beeswax candles. I gave up. I have wondered if soy wax would work better, but have done very little experimenting. We don't use fragrances, other than pure EOs, so that was the only option in our home.

The problem with many EOs is that their molecular structure is just too darn small and light. So, instead of vaporizing in the wax melt pool like they are supposed to they travel to the wick and burn. To get an EO to work you have the right idea, larger molecules. You will see the same EOs being used over and over and over in candles because they work. Patchouli, lavender, eucalyptus and a few others can work. The other way to get an EO to work is to bind it to a larger molecule. But now, even if that other molecule is something "natural" you now have a fragrance oil. FOs that are made to be used in candles will just do better. HTH :)

I’ve read that many essential oils are toxic when burned. That’s all I know...since I make unscented candles for myself and am still struggling with that because the wax I finally made friends with is out of production this year.

Back