Fragrance Oil Vs Essential Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 58545

Reaction score
So new to soap making, in fact just waiting for first lot of ingredients/equipment to arrive.
Anyway looking ahead there are a couple of things I would like to make at some point but struggling with essential oil and fragrance oil.
So I want to get a good strong smell but I can't really find essential oils for it, I assume its because they are hard to come by or very expensive or just don't exist.
Honey is one I am looking at. I can find honey fragrance.
Is it ok to use fragrance in cold processed soap, is it "as good" as essential oil. Will the smell last?
The other one was watermelon.
On the subject can you make soap without "essential oils" and just use fragrance oil?

Thank you for any advice

On the subject can you make soap without "essential oils" and just use fragrance oil?

The main purpose for which I make my own soap for personal use is to avoid toxic chemicals. Otherwise I would buy soap from the store.

I prefer EO's to avoid harmful chemicals in my soap. Essential Oils are made from 100% organic plant matter. To be sure, look for the "USDA Organic" stamp on EO's bottles.

By the other hand, the best FO's should be Paraben Free, Phthalate Free, Lyral Free, Lilal Free, Formaldehyde Free, and Sulfate Free. Anyway, It's your choice.

What do you want to do with the soap you will produce? Is it for personal use or for sale? The smell, the color and the exotic shapes sell.

Neither fo nor eo is ever going to have parabens, formaldehyde or sulfates. It's like saying look for ones without jet fuel or antibiotics. Lyral is banned in the EU but not afaik in the US tho IFRA (a voluntary organization) has set low limits.

Rather than frighten new soapers, I'd suggest referring them to careful reputable suppliers such as Brambleberry, Natures Garden, or the like.
The main purpose for which I make my own soap for personal use is to avoid toxic chemicals. Otherwise I would buy soap from the store.

I prefer EO's to avoid harmful chemicals in my soap. Essential Oils are made from 100% organic plant matter. To be sure, look for the "USDA Organic" stamp on EO's bottles.

By the other hand, the best FO's should be Paraben Free, Phthalate Free, Lyral Free, Lilal Free, Formaldehyde Free, and Sulfate Free. Anyway, It's your choice.

What do you want to do with the soap you will produce? Is it for personal use or for sale? The smell, the color and the exotic shapes sell.

So new to soap making, in fact just waiting for first lot of ingredients/equipment to arrive.
Anyway looking ahead there are a couple of things I would like to make at some point but struggling with essential oil and fragrance oil.
So I want to get a good strong smell but I can't really find essential oils for it, I assume its because they are hard to come by or very expensive or just don't exist.
Is it ok to use fragrance in cold processed soap, is it "as good" as essential oil. Will the smell last?

Thank you for any advice
Hello & welcome! Soaping is so much fun and very addictive 😁 That being said, research is always going to be your best friend ~ books are good for documented information, videos are great for learning the processes, and internet searches offer lots of different points of view.
For me, soap making was a necessity due to allergy and skin issues, mostly triggered by chemicals and chemical fragrances so that is something I have researched.
Fragrance oils (FOs) are man-made and mostly chemical based and a quick search of "Fragrance oil ingredients" can be very eye opening.
Essential oils (EOs) are derived directly from plants, usually via steam, alcohol or pressing, hence being considered "natural", and also, why you won't find honey or watermelon EOs.
As far as which has better staying power, FOs win hands down, that's what they are meant to do. EOs, on the other hand, smell lovely but lose most of their scent during the saponification process and lose a bit more during the curing process. I have found that even when "anchoring" the scent with clays a lot is still lost and my soap just smells like soap in the shower.
If your soap is only for personal use, then make it according to what you want/need. If you plan on gifting any, consider the needs of the recipient.
Happy soaping!

Thank you for any advice
Nurture Soap has essentical oils for sale. Be ready for "sticker shock."

Sorry I seemed to have missed the replies, never got an email. Anyway thank you very much for all the advice. Will have a read through the threads and see how I get on.

I have a couple of books so far which are a good read but need to get started with it to see how I get on.

:)

Oh quick question. Shea butter, refined or unrefined?? Cold process
I order unrefined/raw oils and butters for making my body oil and since I make my soaps with many of the same oils/butters I use unrefined. To me, shea butter has a slightly earthy nutty smell, not strong or offensive. I also love the thick smooth creaminess of shea 🥰

Back