Electric Tabletop

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuvOurNewf

Reaction score
When I finally get started I plan on using the unfinished portion of our basement for my operations in lieu of alienating my wife if I dare to use the kitchen.

For those of you that don't use the kitchen directly what do you recommend for your heat source? I would prefer to stay with electric due to the convience and if this is your choice how large do you go? Single or double burner? Or two separate singles?

Thanks.

Sorry. I need to learn to give all the information instead of a portion.

I was wondering about a heat source for melting the solid fats and oils. I assume a hot plate would work?

I used to live somewhere where I couldn't use the kitchen easily so I had a double electric burner that was fantastic. It had two dials for each plate, and the plates were two different sizes. I've used it for warming oils mostly but I have rebatched in it too. However if you're only going to HP and nothing else (CP, lotions etc.) I'd suggest just a crock pot, takes less space, I assume uses less energy and doesn't need as much babysitting. My double burner cost about £25 so it was quite cheap, if it wasn't that cheap I'd have just got a single burner.

Ditto a crockpot if you're going to be making soap via HP.

For CP, I use my electric coil stovetop in my kitchen to heat my oils and it works great, so I'm thinking that for a basement, a portable electric hot plate such as Araseth mentioned would work just fine, and it wouldn't take up much space at all.

IrishLass :)

It depends on the side of your batches. Small... microwave. Anything larger... use a hot plate. I have a double hot plate that I got years ago on the cheap. I use it when I'm making large batches outside.

I don't melt oils any more, only cocoa butter and that I do in a microwave.

Latest posts

Back