Ebay bulk soap seller?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That particular auction says it can include scraps, ends and odd shapes. Maybe that's how... dunno!

Yes, I've seen this before. If I remember right, I think the concept is called 'private labeling'.

IrishLass :)

Has anyone ever used his soap? I have always been curious about the quality.

IrishLass said:
Yes, I've seen this before. If I remember right, I think the concept is called 'private labeling'.

IrishLass :)

Yes, many, many people private label. Bath & Body Works private labels. If you read the back labels on their products it says "made for bath & body works." Not made by, made for.

You know... I find myself getting more and more annoyed reading ingredient labels.

The whipped/cream soap ingredient lists. I have to laugh after I see that it's premade or I get irritated!

I'm too new for this reaction! :lol:

Chay said:
Has anyone ever used his soap? I have always been curious about the quality.

I tried it a few years ago. It is a nice soap. I still have some 1oz samples I sometimes will pack one when I travel to avoid hotel soap.

WOW, well he really makes & sells ALOT of soap , huge volume! he also has bath salts & some other things. Selling soap loaves for $5.99.
His Soap is an olive oil & an organic shea butter recipe his website the soapguy.com has all the info. I'm amazed if its really a good soap.
I'm tempted to buy a sample set of mini bars just to try some!

I like the part about there being no soap making secrets, here... http://www.thesoapguy.com/soapmakingsecrets.htm and on another page, he claims to have developed a recipe and process for a bar of soap that is un-copyable... http://www.thesoapguy.com/ So, is there one secret and this guy has it or doesn't he?

You have to wonder about someone claiming fresh olives are poisonous. Hmm... taste horribly bitter, but not poisonous.

It's all about sales. His schtick may be good enough to sell a lot of soap. Prices are cheap, but that may have a lot to do with economy of scale.

Ladies, those are his scratch & dents bars, ends & scraps. His fresh loaves sell for $20-22.

From the rules area of this forum:

We pride ourselves on being the friendliest soap making forum on the net. Please abide by the following rules to keep it that way.

1.For the purposes of this forum, ALL products commonly known as soap are handcrafted/handmade, regardless of whether it began as oils and lye or a base that may or may not contain detergents. BOTH products qualify as handcrafted/handmade soap in this forum.

2.Disrespect and criticism of another member, their practices or choices, will not be tolerated.

3.Disrespect of any member of the soaping community, whether they hold memberships on this forum or not, will not be tolerated.

4.Disrespect of suppliers will not be tolerated. While everyone have the right to post experiences with suppliers, both favorable & not, it shall be done in a professional manner free from insult.

5. Disrespect of any person, group, race, religion or people will not be tolerated.

Any negative, nasty, offensive or questionable comments regarding the above points will not be tolerated and will result in that thread/comment being deleted by the Moderating Team without further reference to the member.

Continued posting of negative, nasty or offensive comments will result in that member being banned from the board.

Thank you!- The mod team

Whether or not you agree with his selling practices ie, selling for private labelling, surely it is only more or less the same as buying M&P adding your own colours scents etc., and adding your label??- IMHO anyways :wink:

trishwosere said:
Whether or not you agree with his selling practices ie, selling for private labelling, surely it is only more or less the same as buying M&P adding your own colours scents etc., and adding your label??- IMHO anyways :wink:

No, they are nothing alike. There is plenty of time, effort and artistic integrity in M&P soap making. I just busted my a$$ making M&P soap for 6 hours a day for 5 straight days for a massive order and my back is killing me. My back would not be aching & it would not have taken 30 hours if I had mearly been reselling someone elses soap. Please do not disrespect my process because it isn't your cup of tea.

There is nothing wrong with private label either. It is dishonest to claim you made it, but most stores do not make the items in them, they resell and that is what private label. Private label = resell.

I think she was just trying to say that the basic ethics of it are the same. Not that the work of it (amount of work or time spent) is the same. (aka buying M&P which you did not technically make from scratch, or buying soap that someone else made which you obviously did not make from scratch, and putting your label on either one. the buyer did not make either one from scratch buy they are calling it their own.) That's how I understood it. I don't think she meant to insult anyone (and I certainly don't either).

I wanted to offer a bit of clarity in regards to what we all know as Private Label in the mass merchant world (Wal-Mart, Bath & Bodyworks etc.)

Let me preface this by saying I am a professional Product Development Manager and have been for 10 years. I have worked for the largest retailer in the world and several other very well known retailers.

MOST retailers (like B&BW) are just that, retailers. They are not manufacturers hence they employ people like me to work with trading companies and/or factories to create their product for them and put their name on the product. In the past 5-10 years it has become common for retailers to offer their own "private brand" in order to provide the customer a value product at a great price while avoiding the often high price of "name brands"....and often the product is produced in the SAME factory as the name brand (I have seen it with my own eyes).

Many retailers want to build a brand that you wont recognize as their private brand...then it looks like they have an exclusive!

If a mass retailer is not doing their own Private Brand in todays economy something is wrong. The customer has been educated over the years and knows they can get a great product in a black and white "generic" box .....but it doesnt have to actually look that way :)

If you will look at your labels and packages you will soon find that what you might think is a national brand is not but is a Private Brand found only at such and such store.

As small business owners we are our own brand! We have to market ourselves, build our own brand names.

What is your "nike swoosh"? What is your personal connection to your customer. Why will they buy your soap vs. someone else?

Just some things to think about :)

Nicki

For those of you who are professionals and supply soap to larger companies, would you mind discussing how that process works?

No sensitive company names if you prefer, but simply how the process worked? How did you get into it etc...

Does a store like Lush have a number of suppliers? What is the legal process, testing, etc....

I think it makes fantastic business sense - he does run a business after all.

I know soap making is a craft, and we pour our heart and soul into it, but at the end of the day, if you want your craft to become a successful business, you will have to secure some wholesale accounts. If that means making soap and putting someone elses label on it - so be it.

I would liken it to labeling for wedding and party favours etc.

I'm not sure how he does it, but for me personally, I like the idea of making soap to the specifications of the client, and keeping my own creations and ideas for my own label.

Tabitha said:
trishwosere said:

No, they are nothing alike. There is plenty of time, effort and artistic integrity in M&P soap making. I just busted my a$$ making M&P soap for 6 hours a day for 5 straight days for a massive order and my back is killing me. My back would not be aching & it would not have taken 30 hours if I had mearly been reselling someone elses soap. Please do not disrespect my process because it isn't your cup of tea.

There is nothing wrong with private label either. It is dishonest to claim you made it, but most stores do not make the items in them, they resell and that is what private label. Private label = resell.

Oh I am so sorry but you totally misunderstood my meaning, I love M&P and I would never ever disrespect it, what I meant was that it is purchased ready made (as was the bulk sellers soap) for it to be dressed up however you see fit. I was in fact in my own clumsy way trying to defend the seller and meant no disrespect to anyone. Sorry Tabitha for not making myself clear :oops:

Latest posts

Back