Dull Spots on Wax Melts in Silicone Molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone know what causes these kinds of dull spots in the otherwise shiny surface of my wax melts? It looks like a tiny bit of wax stayed in the mold maybe, but I let it cool sufficiently and even popped it in the fridge for a bit; they came out really easily.

I use C55 coconut tart wax and this silicone mold is brand new. I'm hoping to avoid clamshells but not if I can't get these smooth and pretty :(

Attachments

• IMG_6277.JPEG
    IMG_6277.JPEG
    839 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6276.JPEG
    IMG_6276.JPEG
    888.2 KB · Views: 0
It looks like frost. What temp are you pouring the wax?

You also may need to clean your molds better.

Last edited:
Maybe it’s a temperature issue? Coconut wax is resistant to frosting, but you can still get it. Even some colors will cause frosting. Maybe try warming up the silicone before pouring or not using any colorant. If that doesn’t work then consider clamshells. There are clamshells that are similar to your mold.

Maybe it’s a temperature issue? Coconut wax is resistant to frosting, but you can still get it. Even some colors will cause frosting. Maybe try warming up the silicone before pouring or not using any colorant. If that doesn’t work then consider clamshells. There are clamshells that are similar to your mold.
I’m leaning towards the clamshells, I was hoping to use less plastic but these are giving me grief plus so much washing! That’s a good point about the colors, thanks for the thoughts!

Latest posts

Back