Don't laugh! My first soap...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can put the molds in the freezer for a while, then after you take them out let them sit for a few minutes and the soap should come out nicely.
I use Pam to spray plastic molds for CP, but don't know if it works for MP.

Thanks for the tip, Marilyna! I'll try that first and then see how it goes. I read somewhere about dropping the pipe on a concrete floor to release the soap, but I'm skeptical about this method. Not that I worry about the concrete, but what if the pipe or - worse - the soap cracks?!

I don't think the soap will crack. Go for it. But I would put it in the freezer for a few hours first, then let it sit out for about 30 minutes.

I use the freezer method for MP soaps in the plastic molds when I make animal shapes. Otherwise, I can't get them out ever. And I use the freezer when I make CP in the Crystal Light containers (spray liberally with Pam, though).

That's great. Lavender buds turn because they are affected by moisture. I like to put mind in a grinder. Also, put your mold in the freezer for a minutes. That sometimes help. I use a silicone mold and put it in freezer and my soaps pop out. I have been doing M&P for over 10 years and I love it. I add all sorts of additives, lavender, peppermint, calendula petals, milk, honey, oatmeal, etc. Keep it up. Don't give up. Get books, read, read and practice. I am now starting to practice CP, but my customers swear by my M&P. Experiment with your colorant, make sure it's not making your bubbles purple. Sometimes the buds don't look too bad in a lighter lavender. I use mostly white M&P. Good luck on your journey! :p

Thanks again, ladies! It's great to have such a wonderful support here.

Bann51, the foam is white. I got them at Michael's store, they're specifically made for soap making. They're liquid and in tiny bottles. I'm nowhere ready to use pigment powders yet, so I'll start with liquid color and experiment.

I'm reading like crazy. Yesterday I spent all day reading about soap, and especially about oils and EOs. I even made up my first two CP recipes with the BB lye calculator. Will try them both when my lye arrives.

I like MP a lot for its ease. Couldn't believe how easy it was to make my lavender soap. It's pricey though, and I'd like to know exactly what is in my soap, that's why I also want to try CP. I tried to find some info on how to make a glycerin MP base myself so it wouldn't cost an arm and a leg, but didn't find anything really.

Since I'm making soap for myself and hopefully will be on time to make some for Christmas gifts, I want to have the best ingredients I can find, organic and everything. I want people to love my soap. So, all your support and tips are very appreciated! Whenever I search for something in Google, this forum pops up at the top and I read a LOT of good info here.

Your soap looks GREAT!!! I have never done melt and pour but thinking about it!! I do cp and hp.

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

Thanks Soapbysonja! The melt and pour soap is really easy. This one took just a few minutes to make.

Nice Job! I started with M&P also. It took me awhile to work up to the CP method with lye.
I finally made a safe place to work with it in the garage! Call me paranoid!

I think your soap is very pretty! I've been doing mostly CP, but I'm drawn to some of the artistic things you can do with MP. Check out some soap supply places online. You should be able to find good-quality MP bases that are way cheaper and better than what you can buy at a craft store. Keep going, and keep posting pictures!

Thanks again, ladies!

Our kitchen is rather small, and the garage is full of boxes as we plan to move some time in the near future. So, only our tiny kitchen is available. When I make my CP soap, I'll mix the lye and water outside. Just to not inhale all the fumes.

I just realized that I don't have a thermometer and without it I don't dare to make the soap. I just ordered one on eBay for 10 dollars and with free shipping. Sounds like a good deal to me!

I think it's lovely! The purple is gorgeous, and I think it looks very herbal and natural.

Back