do you make your own laundry detergent?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodi

Reaction score
It's been a long, long winter here....still cold and snowy. I am tired, but need to make more and more soap for a show coming up in spring, and the one wholesale account I fill. Some days I wonder why I bother when I see recipes like this:

from Mother Earth News online:

According to our grandmothers’ wisdom (and verified on thenewhomemaker.com), Monday is Wash Day. After Sunday’s day of rest, homemakers traditionally took on one of the week’s most difficult tasks: the laundry. Whether you’re disciplined enough to schedule your laundry days or you just do a load or two when you’ve run out of socks and underwear, the following recipe for simple washing powderwill make the task more fun. This laundry detergent is simple to make, saves you money and smells heavenly.

Simple Washing Powder

16 cups baking soda
12 cups borax
8 cups grated castile or glycerin soap flakes*
3 tablespoons lavender, lemon or grapefruit essential oil

Combine baking soda, borax and soap flakes. Add essential oil and mix with a wire whisk. Use 1⁄8 cup per load.

Read more: http://www.motherearthnews.com/natural- ... z1FGOvxhyk

*Try Sun Feather Natural Soap Company, or buy bars of castile soap (e.g. Dr. Bronner’s) and grate with a kitchen grater.

Read more: http://www.motherearthnews.com/natural- ... z1FGPsZhrM

I make my own:

1 cup grated soap (my own)
1/2 cup borax
1/2 cup washing soda (in another post someone suggested using sodium percarbonate instead, as it breaks down into hydrogen peroxide and washing soda)

Of course, you could make the batch size larger

I use 1 - 2 tablespoons per load. Works like a charm.

Do you mean this is not good? I'm not sure what you mean. Should I try this? I have a really large sack of sodium bicarb for the pool and thought I would give it a shot. Yes? No?
First I'd have to make castille soap. Hm, laundry soap should be ready by Thanksgiving.

I'm not saying it's not good, sorry if I caused you some confusion. I'm an oldbie (63 years old) and getting tired of working, would love to retire....but find myself making just little bits of money (which I do enjoy) selling soap bars. I don't have the ambition to do a LOT of different products nor to make a LOT of money. I do like a simple life

so when I saw the Mother Earth News article telling people how to make their own soaps and laundry detergents, from simple ingredients they can get at a supermarket, my mind immediately went to: "so why the heck am I working so hard to make special products for customers if they can make their own so very easeily and cheaply?"

Yanno?

Woodi said:
I'm not saying it's not good, sorry if I caused you some confusion. I'm an oldbie (63 years old) and getting tired of working, would love to retire....but find myself making just little bits of money selling soap bars. I don't have the ambition to do a LOT of different products.

so when I saw the Mother Earth News article telling people how to make their own soaps and laundry detergents, from simple ingredients they can get at a supermarket, my mind immediately went to: "so why the heck am I working so hard to make special products for customers if they can make their own so very cheaply?"

Yanno?

I hear ya! But there are a ton of people out there who could care less about making their own. They prefer to buy and will happily pay someone to do it for them. They outnumber the people who make their own regardless of how easy it may be.
I also understand about being tired of working. 2 more years. Maybe.

Dennis said:
Do you mean this is not good? I'm not sure what you mean. Should I try this? I have a really large sack of sodium bicarb for the pool and thought I would give it a shot. Yes? No?
First I'd have to make castille soap. Hm, laundry soap should be ready by Thanksgiving.

You don't have to use castile soap. I make soap using CO and Crisco.

I started making my own after we all discussed it on another thread.

1 lb borax
1 lb sodium percarbonate
1# batch grated palm & coconut soap
lavindin eo

I've washing about 4 loads with it so far and have been really happy with it.

Latest posts

Back