do I NEED a stick blender?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking for myself, yes! It makes life so much easier, especially if you have a slow tracing recipe. I wouldn't want to soap without it. :)

I don't have one . Plastic spoon is my friend. Stick blender on wish list but not esential.

Depending on your formula, it can take a couple hours for soap to trace with hand stirring. I once made a pure castille hand stirring. It took 6 hours to trace. I wasn't stirring constantly, but didn't go longer than 15 minutes without stirring.

all I can think of is, "what did they do in the olden days" LOL! ya know, I ought to see if my mom would let me have the hand crank mixer thing.... that wouldn't cost me anything. I wonder if it would work the same as a stick blender..

I think it's the Soapmaker's Companion that says to use a stand mixer, like one of those large KitchenAid mixers. An electric hand held mixer would work as well. My concern with both methods would be whipping in air.

thanks guys!!

I have one, I just don't want to hand it over to soapmaking hahaha.

I love my stick blender but I don't always use it. If the recipe looks like it's tracing quickly I use a spoon or stir with the stick blender turned off. But it really does a nice job evenly blending additives, exfoliants, colorants, etc.

If you use your stick blender, let any soap residue saponify for 24 hours and then clean it, I personally wouldn't have any problem then using it in the kitchen. What you have left on the blender would be soap, right, albeit not completely saponified? But that's just my opinion. Some people are squeamish about lye/food cross over and that's perfectly legit. Also my stick blender is stainless steel and comes apart for cleaning; not sure how I'd feel about plastic.

If I'm working with a new FO, I always start with just the whisk. I find that most FOs are speedy enough that the whisk is all I need. Still, there are some FO that don't speed trace at all or even seem to slow the process. In those cases, I use the stickblender. So, no, you don't NEED one, but it is nice to have one.

U don't NEED one as Nancy said but they sure do help.
I'm in love with my Braun.
It was **** expensive but has so many attachments ... it was love at first sight.

I would hate to soap without one.

I check out the resale shops and last year I bought 2 for $4.00 each. I figure at that price can't hurt to have extras in case one burns up or something.

Same as the others have said- you don't necessarily need one, but one thing I gotta say is that I would sure hate to ever have to soap without mine. I find it essential for mixing colorants into my soap batter smoothly and uniformly. I just use a cheapie Hamilton Beach from Walmart. It's 4 years old and still going strong.

IrishLass :)

I saw one for $10 last night, but it is more than I want to spend right now since $ is extremely tight. I would prefer to get a used one, but I can't find a used one is all. not sure if I want to steal my one for cooking though, I don't use it that often but when I need it I need it, ya know?

yea.. you do need one

It is not absolutely necessary but I sure would not want to be without mine ! I was never able to find a used one either :(

I was all "gung-ho" when I started my first batch; it was high in olive oil and I thought I was never going to reach a trace! I did 2 batches before I got a stick blender and I honestly don't think I would've continued this hobby if I hadn't gotten one! Soap takes so long to perfect, IMO why make it longer just stirring?

I LOVE my stick blender although I did have to get use to knowing the difference between true trace and the stick blender looking trace. I saw one last night on sale for nine bucks (Rural King). I told my husband I needed it and he thought I was nuts cause I already had one at home. I needed a back-up "just in case".

Back