DIY Shower Jelly

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
This is so much fun to make, and easy peasy too! I made these for "the boys" two Christmases ago. When I last talked to my niece a month or so ago, she said they still get them out and play with them. I was shocked! I meant them to use in the shower... kind of a sneaky way to get them to TAKE a shower... know what I mean? LOL Anyhoo, there's lots of recipes on line but this is the one I used -- (the link to the original is no longer working so I'm unable to give credit.) Plus a link to Lush -- the inspiration for this project; and links to a demo and a tutorial. HAVE FUN!!!

SANTA’S BELLY SHOWER JELLY 12/15/15
Ingredients: Water, castile soap, salt, Knox gelatin, FD&C red, Candy Cane fragrance.

2 packages of unflavored gelatin
3/4 C boiling water
1/2 C castile soap
1.5 ml fragrance
body safe coloring if desired
1 tsp salt
Silicone molds, square mold, fun shaped molds or muffin tin molds.
Could also use small plastic jars.
Body safe glitter if desired

Place mold(s) onto a cutting board or cookie sheet to make them easier to move. Sprinkle body safe glitter lightly onto the molds, if you like.

Add salt to the water. Sprinkle the gelatin over the water. Allow to hydrate for 5 minutes. Give it a stir then nuke for 3 minutes or so on HIGH until the batch comes to a boil. Allow to rest 5 minutes, then stir to be sure the salt and gelatin are completely dissolved. Add the castile soap and one or two drops of body safe coloring, if desired. Stir gently. Cool to 120°F (50°C) then add the fragrance. Spritz air bubbles with alcohol. Pour into mold. Place in refrigerator uncovered until solid (5-6 hours)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.lushusa.com/Shower-Jellies/shower-jellies,en_US,sc.html
Santa’s Belly Shower Jelly
VIDEO

TUTORIAL with pics
http://www.rookiemag.com/2013/07/diy-shower-jellies/

Jelly soap is fun, but I would rather and have purchased ready made jelly soap that is preserved and tested. I just do not trust something made with gelatin and not preserved. Little side note, my daughter talked them into making jelly soap because she did not like Stephenson jelly soap. No she gets nothing from Catalina for advertising their jelly base, in fact she no longer pours soap. It is just a nice base
https://essentialsbycatalina.com/soap-jelly-base

i made a recipe very similar to this a couple years ago- they were fun but they weren't as firm as i was hoping- i stored them in a mason jar in the fridge (they were made with dr bronners peppermint castile soap- they were rather bracing when you used them lol) but if they were left out- they were way soft

good point about gelatin and preservatives

Jelly soap is fun, but I would rather and have purchased ready made jelly soap that is preserved and tested. I just do not trust something made with gelatin and not preserved. Little side note, my daughter talked them into making jelly soap because she did not like Stephenson jelly soap. No she gets nothing from Catalina for advertising their jelly base, in fact she no longer pours soap. It is just a nice base
https://essentialsbycatalina.com/soap-jelly-base

I have made them using Stephenson's jelly base and I do not like the air bubbles you get just mixing in color and fragrance, but others love them. Does the Catalina base act the same as far as air bubbles?

I have made them using Stephenson's jelly base and I do not like the air bubbles you get just mixing in color and fragrance, but others love them. Does the Catalina base act the same as far as air bubbles?
I do not know for sure, my daughter just mentioned it was easier to work with. They make great m&p bases, so I am guessing their Jelly Soap base is nice. They do offer a 4 oz jar for $4.50 as a sample.

I make my bath jellies using a recipe from Ponte Vedra Soap Shoppe. The jelly does not have to be refrigerated and it has a crazy amount of bubbles. My DIL uses my jelly when shaving her legs.

https://pvsoap.com/showerwash-jellies-like-lush/

Does it set up clear? Or does it have a lot of bubbles in it? Do you find it cost effective versus the already made formula?

It is fairly clear. I always color it. It depends on how much you pay for the ingredients. I like the idea of making my own bases.

I make my bath jellies using a recipe from Ponte Vedra Soap Shoppe. The jelly does not have to be refrigerated and it has a crazy amount of bubbles. My DIL uses my jelly when shaving her legs.

Now I remember why I have some of the ingredients I ran across yesterday, I was going to try this recipe. Thanks Lsg for posting this so now I remember....

this is what i do... I buy Irish Moss.. i soak the moss.. it has its own carragean .. i blend it with hot water and make a jelly paste to this paste i add a water base preservative..
this is the recipe i use courtasey of PV soap
  • 6.5 ozs Distilled Water
  • 15 ozs Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (liquid)
  • 12.5 ozs Liquid Glycerin
  • 3.5 ozs Propylene Glycol
  • 1.5 ozs Carrageenan (IOTA)
  • .7 ozs Fragrance
  • 1/4 tsp. Preservative (Methylparaben)
  • FD&C or iron oxide colors as needed (powders only
I also us foaming bath whip to sub for the slsl and make a jelly soap

this is what i do... I buy Irish Moss.. i soak the moss.. it has its own carragean .. i blend it with hot water and make a jelly paste to this paste i add a water base preservative..
this is the recipe i use courtasey of PV soap
  • 6.5 ozs Distilled Water
  • 15 ozs Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (liquid)
  • 12.5 ozs Liquid Glycerin
  • 3.5 ozs Propylene Glycol
  • 1.5 ozs Carrageenan (IOTA)
  • .7 ozs Fragrance
  • 1/4 tsp. Preservative (Methylparaben)
  • FD&C or iron oxide colors as needed (powders only
I also us foaming bath whip to sub for the slsl and make a jelly soap

How do you get rid of the smell of the irish moss? I make a facial product with it and even though its not revolting it is strong.

when i soak the irish moss i soak it till it becomes translucent.. I have never had an issue with scent i have made jelly for my son.. using cherry grape etc.. and i cant smell. it even lavender.. ?

when i soak the irish moss i soak it till it becomes translucent.. I have never had an issue with scent i have made jelly for my son.. using cherry grape etc.. and i cant smell. it even lavender.. ?

Its an interesting recipe. Im a big fan of Irish moss and think this would be great for my skin. Im going to give it a try and see how it turns out. I will also use the foaming bath whip as I like it. Thank you for sharing.

I make my bath jellies using a recipe from Ponte Vedra Soap Shoppe.
Thanks for sharing. What is "Carrageenan (IOTA)" and where do you buy it? I put it in the search box at Ponte Vedra and got "no results". I have some carrageenan (seaweed) from herbco.com but I haven't had time to play with it yet. It's on my Round Tuit list. Could I use that in that recipe?

Latest posts

Back