Disappointed šŸ˜ž

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No medicinal values survive (as far as we know).

But KiwiMoose makes it sound worse than it is -- some natural colorants are actually quite nice. You can check out szaza's experiments with all kinds of fun colors. Spirulina is great for green, annatto for yellow, rose clay / madder root for pink. They are more finicky than micas, but -- if you like this kind of thing -- also more fun.

No medicinal values survive (as far as we know).

But KiwiMoose makes it sound worse than it is -- some natural colorants are actually quite nice. You can check out szaza's experiments with all kinds of fun colors. Spirulina is great for green, annatto for yellow, rose clay / madder root for pink. They are more finicky than micas, but -- if you like this kind of thing -- also more fun.
Ok, thank you. I didn't think they would survive since the same thing happens with the properties of EO. I had purchased some spirulina, bentonite clay, turmeric, activated charcoal, and black walnut hull powder to experiment with and see what happens. I had also gotten some indigo but found out real quick there's a right and wrong type to buy since I now have the green instead of blue. šŸ¤£

Ok, thank you. I didn't think they would survive since the same thing happens with the properties of EO. I had purchased some spirulina, bentonite clay, turmeric, activated charcoal, and black walnut hull powder to experiment with and see what happens. I had also gotten some indigo but found out real quick there's a right and wrong type to buy since I now have the green instead of blue. šŸ¤£
Green indigo can be fun too!

See here, here, and here for some cool experiments.

@Hinata @KiwiMoose @atiz
I did some experimenting of my own over the weekend so I could put a visual to the colorants. I added them at trace and forced gel in the oven.

I was very surprised at the ones that stayed true to the batter color and the ones that didn't.

From top left to right and down.
Plain, bentonite clay, and activated charcoal.
Dried lavender leaves, mustard, and ginger.
Clove, cinnamon, and turmeric.
"Green" indigo, black walnut hull powder, and smoked paprika.
I don't know if the smoked would be different from regular but that was actually my favorite and held its color really well!

I'm excited to try them in different ways. Thanks for the links and info!

Attachments

• 20200504_100802.jpg
    20200504_100802.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Yes, clove EO smells amazing in soap. And it sticks like nothing else. It also causes soap on a stick. Inevitably.

I learned to use the other EOs in most of the soap, and color that section, then add the clove EO to the small portion that is going to be plopped on top for "decoration". I make a spice EO fragranced soap that I came up with the EO recipe in my first year of soaping, and I still have it requested routinely by family. It makes your bathroom smell like grandma's house during the holidays.

Yes, clove EO smells amazing in soap. And it sticks like nothing else. It also causes soap on a stick. Inevitably.

I learned to use the other EOs in most of the soap, and color that section, then add the clove EO to the small portion that is going to be plopped on top for "decoration". I make a spice EO fragranced soap that I came up with the EO recipe in my first year of soaping, and I still have it requested routinely by family. It makes your bathroom smell like grandma's house during the holidays.

Oooh that sounds lovely. I haven't experimented with any EO's yet.

I always forget to attach things. Especially when Iā€™m supposed to be sending something important to my boss lol

I always forget to attach things. Especially when Iā€™m supposed to be sending something important to my boss lol

So true! This is me all of the time. Or ill never hit send on an email or message and then wonder why the other isn't responding to me. Lol

@SudsyJurn not likely any of the therapeutic properties survive the lye. Contrary to what some want to believe. Plus it's a wash off product and not on the skin long enough to really do anything if they did.

@SudsyJurn not likely any of the therapeutic properties survive the lye. Contrary to what some want to believe. Plus it's a wash off product and not on the skin long enough to really do anything if they did.

Thank you! I had originally bought EO's for in the soaps (they haven't arrived yet) but after reading and thinking about it I was like it really doesn't make too much sense to spend the extra money for what would become a FO. So if I'm going to save those for creams and butters. Would the same apply for things like honey, goats milk, charcoal, and clays? Are any of those properties going to come through, or not so much.

Latest posts

Back