Designed A New Soap Label Tonight

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with other folks about the font. Regardless of gradient, background, or whatever, the font is too difficult to read. You're using a titling font in a too-small size. Your second try is marginally more legible, but still borderline unreadable.

Also if it's BLACK raspberry vanilla, then why the red raspberries in the picture?

DeeAnna :mrgreen: you got to the bottom of that, even the pic is not right. I focused so much on Font connected to what I know how to do :))

I agree with other folks about the font. Regardless of gradient, background, or whatever, the font is too difficult to read. You're using a titling font in a too-small size. Your second try is marginally more legible, but still borderline unreadable.

Also if it's BLACK raspberry vanilla, then why the red raspberries in the picture?

If you look up the definition of Black Raspberry it is a combination of Red Raspberries and black berries This is the reason for both of them being in the picture.

Todd

I was playing around on my phone with this. I couldn't get the Goldsmith font on it but I made this:

fba05dd751ef93bb928941b36c62a152.jpg

I'd still play with it a little more but I think it might be a good start. It's a bit too much white but I didn't know how to change that background color. I'd go with a light grey. What do you think?

I was playing around on my phone with this. I couldn't get the Goldsmith font on it but I made this:

I'd still play with it a little more but I think it might be a good start. It's a bit too much white but I didn't know how to change that background color. I'd go with a light grey. What do you think?
I like it thanks for helping out
Sorry I forgot the picture

;now it is easy to read, very neat. but.............. it lost a lot of appeal
what if you use a color, beside black, How do you see McGrays' town gifts in color

If you look up the definition of Black Raspberry it is a combination of Red Raspberries and black berries This is the reason for both of them being in the picture.

Maybe where you live, but not in Iowa. You'd totally mystify everyone around here with that definition.

In the upper Midwestern states (USA), black raspberries (aka black caps) are a true raspberry that ripens to a dark purple-black color. Red raspberries and blackberries do not grow wild here, but black raspberries are a native species in this region.

"...The black raspberry is also closely related to the red raspberries Rubus idaeus and Rubus strigosus, sharing the distinctively white underside of the leaves and fruit that readily detaches from the carpel, but differing in the ripe fruit being black, and in the stems being more prickly. The black fruit makes them look like blackberries, though this is only superficial, with the taste being unique and not like either the red raspberry or the blackberry...."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubus_occidentalis

Last edited:
Maybe where you live, but not in Iowa. You'd totally mystify everyone around here with that definition.

In the upper Midwestern states (USA), black raspberries (aka black caps) are a true raspberry that ripens to a dark purple-black color. Red raspberries and blackberries do not grow wild here, but black raspberries are a native species in this region.

"...The black raspberry is also closely related to the red raspberries Rubus idaeus and Rubus strigosus, sharing the distinctively white underside of the leaves and fruit that readily detaches from the carpel, but differing in the ripe fruit being black, and in the stems being more prickly. The black fruit makes them look like blackberries, though this is only superficial, with the taste being unique and not like either the red raspberry or the blackberry...."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubus_occidentalis

This makes sense

Black berries and Raspberries both grow wild here Thank you for clarifying this for me I now understand what you are talking about and will update the picture. This is why I am so Happy to be part of this fine group of people you all rock and I appreciate your honest opinions it helps bring clarity to some of the foggy parts of Life.

Todd

Aye, I looked up "Black raspberry" and it was a black raspberry, not a blackberry and a raspberry. Why not a picture of a black raspberry?

I am going remove the Raspberry from the picture I know can see what everyone was talking about I must just have some Mutant Berries here in Virginia I should stop eating them also.

Todd

galaxy....girl, you should go into the business of designing labels! I love this so much. Love the font. The whole thing is very graphic, and would definitely grab my eye. I think the berries, nice and big, without anything else in there to confuse the eye, are perfect. I wouldn't change a thing! Labels should pop, and this one does.

You all did a fabulous job with that label; its crisp, clean, modern, yet a hint of classic style. There's just a hint of purple color in the berries, and the shadow of the berries gives it a little dimension. It's a "confident" looking label!

galaxy....girl, you should go into the business of designing labels! I love this so much. Love the font. The whole thing is very graphic, and would definitely grab my eye. I think the berries, nice and big, without anything else in there to confuse the eye, are perfect. I wouldn't change a thing! Labels should pop, and this one does.

Thats really nice of you to say! I have a cousin in graphic design and since she designed my logo I've been looking into what makes an effective label/advertising. Its an interesting world out there.

Mcgraysoldtownsoaps, I hope you understand that I am not trying to make you feel bad about your label. I agree that the font needed to be changed but I like your black raspberry/raspberry/vanilla logo. Where I live black raspberries don't grow (we do have blackberries though) so seeing raspberries together with what look like blackberries would make sense to me.

I posted pictures of font/logo only to give you ideas. I'm definitely not saying you need to go with it and I wouldn't be insulted in the slightest if you didn't. I just liked playing around with it. I used to think old English text was the best thing since sliced bread when it came to getting that old fashioned look.

Last edited:
Thats really nice of you to say! I have a cousin in graphic design and since she designed my logo I've been looking into what makes an effective label/advertising. Its an interesting world out there.

Mcgraysoldtownsoaps, I hope you understand that I am not trying to make you feel bad about your label. I agree that the font needed to be changed but I like your black raspberry/raspberry/vanilla logo. Where I live black raspberries don't grow (we do have blackberries though) so seeing raspberries together with what look like blackberries would make sense to me.

I posted pictures of font/logo only to give you ideas. I'm definitely not saying you need to go with it and I wouldn't be insulted in the slightest if you didn't. I just liked playing around with it. I used to think old English text was the best thing since sliced bread when it came to getting that old fashioned look.

Nope not insulted one bit i like the feedback i get on this forum you all have helped me take a new look at the design and I have a day off coming up and will work on it some more.

Thanks Todd
Only stop eating them if they glow in the dark -- I bet they're yummy! :)

They are :) and they are free all summer long we make muffins and pies and cakes with BlackBerry and Raspberry frosting. Not to mention the homemade Ice cream Oh I am getting excited for Summer to return again .

Todd
OK here is Version 3 :)

Capture1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What type of paper do you guys use for printing the labels on. I looked up soap labels on Avery but most of what they have has been discontinued in the size That I would need for this label.

Todd

Latest posts

Back