Dark Center in soaps- HELP!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauraleigh113

Reaction score
I am using a silicone bread mold. I have made several batches that have turned out great. This weekend, I have made 4 batches and EVERY one of them has had a dark center on top....the next day, when sliced, each bar has an ugly dark circle center :eh:. 2 batches I refrigerated after pouring as usual..with the dark center I did some reading and thought the outsides were just cooling faster than the middle and so the next 2 batches I left sitting out and wrapped towls around the outside of the mold. Same thing but WORSE! I just hate to waste any more of my supplies....what is going on here? PLease help.

It sounds like partial gel, which is cosmetic only and doesn't affect the quality of the soap. I like to gel my soaps so I usually CPOP them to make sure the entire loaf gels. You may want to try that since leaving them out and insulating them in towels didn't force gel for you. You could also set them on top of a heating pad for a while if you don't want to put them in the oven.

I was just reading about that. I will have to try this next time. Thanks! How long do you leave it? At what temp?

image.jpg

I put them in a 170F oven until the batter is completely translucent (about 30-45 minutes, though ahem, I'm still working on getting that right consistently), then turn the oven off and leave the soap in there overnight.

Back