Dark blue mica is now tan?!?!?!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegriffiths

Heather
Reaction score
So I am still working out colors. I recently had a maroon gel colorant that went completely brown on me (its been 5 days).

Yesterday I got my Dark Blue Mica shipped to me, excited to try it.

I made my normal Goat Milk soap and mixed 3/4 of it with Dark Blue Mica. (2lb test batch with 1.5 tbsp mica in sunflower oil) It looked great - a nice darker blue.

I put it in the freezer to stop the gel. An hour later I checked it and I noticed it was a bit lighter but still a nice looking blue.

Today when I took it out of the freezer it is now completely tan - like I didnt even add any Mica. It is actually the color of my natural GM soap.

Is this normal? How does everyone get GM soap to color. Two fails and I am very frustrated.

Was the mica described as "soap stable" or "stable in high pH"? If not, the mica can morph in color or just completely fade away. I had a mica fade and disappear but it wasn't immediately after I made the batch. I was upset and went back on the supplier's site. Sure enough, it did say it wasn't stable in cold process soap. I didn't notice this when I ordered it.

BTW, lye is a monster.

This is their description...

Description
Dark Blue Mica Powder. Produces a dark blue luster shimmer in clear bases. A flat, pastel color with no shimmer is produced in opaque (white) bases. When used in bath salts and fizzies, water color will not become tinted but instead may glisten with a slight sparkle that floats. Approved for general cosmetics, lip and eye products.

I will email them. It seems to be the same mica though that they have at Whole Supplies Plus. At least the descriptions match. Although WSP notes that its fine in CP.

I am betting it is not stable in high ph. Looks like from the description they are speaking of mp, but would have been nice if they state it is not high ph stable. Lots of micas from TKB are not stable in high ph, but any I have state it clearly. Of course being me I have to push it and try and some actually are stable but these are in tiny test batches. Normally I will not purchase micas for soap unless it clearly states stable in high ph or cp soap

Ok. I just did another batch of soap - this time I used a black mica and a yellow. They do say that they are stable at High PH and good for cold process. ( I got these from WSP)

I will let you know!

Thanks!!!

This is their description...

Produces a dark blue luster shimmer in clear bases. A flat, pastel color with no shimmer is produced in opaque (white) bases.

Yup, it's for melt and pour bases.

Yellow and black will be a great combo and I hope you'll post pictures of it.

You're welcome! :grin:

Back