Dancing funnel with natural colorants

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D68548C8-DBD6-49E1-9D51-FFBCDBD82719.jpeg

The cut soaps look really cool! Very happy about this batch.

E453C46C-9E6B-4779-B746-BFE91B759DB3.jpeg

Last edited:
beautiful...is that done in a slab as opposed to a loaf?

Great observation! 👍 I didn’t have a slab mold (I just received the small one I bought from Nurture soap) so I used my loaf mold as a slab mold.

The thickness of the loaf is the thickness of the individual soaps (I cut the loaf into 5 soaps perpendicularly).

very ingenious... I would like to try that design but I know it comes out better in a slab. I think I'll try it my loaf anyway.

If you liked my soap you’ll be happy with the results. In a loaf mold, there’s less surface to work on but the layers will show inside the soap. Have fun! 😁

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Of you gel you're less likely to get ash, but then more water means more likely to gel, and them more water means ore likely to get ash.
Last time i had a severe case of ash I just 'washed' it off about 4 weeks into the cure. And it stayed off. Job done. Soap will do what it will do.

Josiane, I think I might be your expert! I am very able to create that effect (and seemingly unable to avoid it)! I always get that when I try Dancing Funnel - here are two illustrations! the second photo is in being CPOP'd right now. I agree with Deeanna: t is not soda ash in my opinion - it's what I get. The only thing that's surprising is that you didn't notice it when you were doing it - I see it all the time and it drives me mad! I think it has to be a water discount issue. I'm only a beginner so I am (was) nervous about going lower than the beginner's 38% water/oil ratio. However, this last episode has cured me - I'm going lower! I don't use water - only coconut milk and I don't know why but I've never had soda ash (maybe related?). I show you this because just going into the oven I don't think glycerin rivers is the issue...

Attachments

• 20200614_194342[1].jpg
    20200614_194342[1].jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200614_194407[1].jpg
    20200614_194407[1].jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 13
Hi! Thanks for your answer. Not sure I understand though... Just to be sure:

- You can see the phenomenon happen WHILE you are pouring the soap? I haven’t noticed that... I took video and plenty of pics but the resolution isn’t high enough to tell...

- It only happens with your dancing funnel soaps? If so, that’s weird... My other soap that had a lot of it was also a dancing funnel... But isn’t it more likely to be related to the fact we have to pour at emulsion or very light trace?

- I water discounted (used a 33% lye concentration) but it didn’t prevent the phenomenon...

Hi Josiane, yes, you are entirely right! I checked (i.e. did another small batch!). I wanted to make **** sure it was definitely at emulsion ... with the inevitable (for me!) result : the "blobby dancing funnel soap"! Your soap is just wonderful by the way! I am still miles behind you, the ha'penny category!

Hi Josiane, yes, you are entirely right! I checked (i.e. did another small batch!). I wanted to make **** sure it was definitely at emulsion ... with the inevitable (for me!) result : the "blobby dancing funnel soap"! Your soap is just wonderful by the way! I am still miles behind you, the ha'penny category!
haha! the website's standards for correct language are very high! the "bad word" that got transformed into stars was d a m n. I wouldn't have thought that was very strong language!

Don’t worry about it, since I was a kid my dad’s swear word has always been “sh*t”, so when I go to the US I have to keep reminding myself to NOT say it. And I’m not so good at it!

I’m just a beginner, but I appreciate the compliment! My Asperger self is never satisfied unless things are “perfect”. (Even though nothing ever is!)

Latest posts

Back