Cutting too soon

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paillo

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I've been noticing from photos that many otherwise really beautiful soaps are suffering from the Dreaded Drag Marks you'll get if you cut your loaves too soon.

I never, ever, ever cut mine before they've set up for a full 12 hours. Longer is preferable, 24 hours is ideal, at least in my experience.

This doesn't apply to salt bars, of course, but for all of those who sell, please consider respecting the full beauty of your bars and let that shine through without needless surface mars.

Just my humble suggestion, and I don't mean to sound condescending or like a know-it-all, which definitely I am not...

My problem is that even 24 hours is too soon. Ungelled soaps in my silicone mold should probably wait 3 days...i just don't have that kind of willpower.

I have a loaf calling my name right now...must...resist...

if you have textured tops or use glitter or botanicals or anything, lay the soap loaf on its side you aren't dragging the tops down thru the soap creating gouges

I do textured tops,with glitter and don't get drag marks cutting from top to bottom. I just cut when they have firmly set up and that doesn't happen.

I don't lay with textures but if anything is added to the top (except glitter) I do sideways. Like chopped soap for 'garnish', botanicals, anything chunky.

And I agree.. It's so much better to wait. Why must we have to wait for so much with soaping?
It really is a fight with patience.
Wait to cool lye and oils, wait for setting up, wait to then cut, wait what seems forever to use. Lol
Good thing we don't have to wait to always make more. :)

*Stands up with Derpina wildly waving soap with DDM about*
Im a newbie, Im allowed!

I too have DDM in my soaps! I just can't contain myself! I do however try to smooth them out with a dip in cold water then lightly rubbing them with a gloved finger. It works so I don't have to wait! Lol

If Michael Jackson made soap! Schamone.

Anyone else find it impossible not to read Schamone in Michael Jackson's voice and throw a hee hee at the end?

Anyway, glad to see I'm not the only one doing the DDMs. I try and smooth them out too but they never really look 100% when I butcher them too early. Paillo is spot on. I'm going to step away from the soap from now on. Promise :shifty:

I have a tendency to cut before my soaps are ready. All of my early soaps have that tell-tale sticky mark. Or once in a while, I wait way too long. I have a loaf of soap that I made over a week ago that is still sitting in the mold. I know that I'm prolonging the curing time, but I'm just beat after work, and I'm sitting here instead of cutting it.

Just remember when you need a new computer it can be written off as a tax deduction ;-)....I suffer DDM as well. I try so darn hard but it just keeps calling my name. Mine is still a bit too soft even after 24 hours sometimes.

Latest posts

Back