Help with Spotty Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, not sure what happened here. Any ideas and how to avoid this would be really great. There are spots on my bars that sorta look like dragging from my cutter but I’m not sure. Maybe I cut too soon? Maybe it’s my recipe? I poured at light trace and swirled in the design then popped the mold in the oven which was preheated to 170 and turned off when the soap went in. I think I cut it about 24 hours later. Here’s a pic of my recipe:
image.jpg
And the soap.
IMG_5425.jpeg
I don’t sell soap so I’m not worried about that. I do, however want to make pretty soap. 🫤

Looks like air bubbles. Try tapping your mold after filling it to release the bubbles
Thank you. It’s not air bubbles, I know it’s hard to tell from the picture. It’s almost like tiny bits of soap. It is only on the cut sides and seems to be in the same vertical pattern as the cuts. Some edges are definitely less apparent than others. I tried to upload a close up picture but keep getting an error message.

I don’t think the fats went above 115-120. I have been incorporating the lye solution when both fats and lye are around 110.
I believe that they are stearic spots due to not heating the Shea butter hot enough. I recommend melting the the Shea butter at a much higher temperature. Ideally, around 160 degrees Fahrenheit. At a minimum. I recommend melting the lard and Shea butter to 160 (or even 180) and then adding coconut oil and remaining fats. Then allow to cool down to 110 before combining with your lye solution. It’s ok if your lye solution is a bit (but not too much) cooler.

The lard doesn’t necessarily need a high temperature but it helps melt the Shea faster when combined with lard.

I believe that they are stearic spots due to not heating the Shea butter hot enough. I recommend melting the the Shea butter at a much higher temperature. Ideally, around 160 degrees Fahrenheit. At a minimum. I recommend melting the lard and Shea butter to 160 (or even 180) and then adding coconut oil and remaining fats. Then allow to cool down to 110 before combining with your lye solution. It’s ok if your lye solution is a bit (but not too much) cooler.

The lard doesn’t necessarily need a high temperature but it helps melt the Shea faster when combined with lard.
Thank you. I was wondering about the Shea. Appreciate your assistance!

Thank you Agi. I used a translation program to translate your reply. “I've had such soap before. When you cut them off, they pop out. You can smooth it by hand, but only immediately when cutting. You can't see it afterwards.”

Thank you Agi. I used a translation program to translate your reply. “I've had such soap before. When you cut them off, they pop out. You can smooth it by hand, but only immediately when cutting. You can't see it afterwards.”
Because before I wrote the answer, I typed it into the translator to make sure I was writing the right one. And I accidentally copied the Hungarian part. :) Sorry

Latest posts

Back