Crumbling crafts!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been biting off more than I can chew playing in my “lab” making soap and trying techniques inspired by the soap challenge and watching I Dream in Soap flawlessly execute some exquisite projects.

I changed my masterbatch recipe - trying out new things everytime my crockpot empties - and now my soap seems to be crumbling.

I can’t read Dunn’s book fast enough to find out why that is happening; any help, suggestions, thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Here is my failed attempt at watercolour soap. Learned a lot in the process, can’t wait to be able to participate.

IMG_0271.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0272.jpeg
    IMG_0272.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0269.jpeg
    IMG_0269.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Pretty swirls!

I do see a lot of TD spots and also blue spots, meaning that colorants weren't fully mixed. That could relate to crumbliness, or not. I can't tell from the picture; are the crumbly portions dry, or more wet/soft/sticky?

Pretty swirls!

I do see a lot of TD spots and also blue spots, meaning that colorants weren't fully mixed. That could relate to crumbliness, or not. I can't tell from the picture; are the crumbly portions dry, or more wet/soft/sticky?
Yeah, I made a mess with my colourants. Lol. I went a bit squirrelly with feeling rushed when I changed my plan at the last second.

It’s not sticky or gooey and not lye heavy - that I can tell.

Crumbling right through.

Going to rebatch it and see what happens. I have been going through all the other posts and found a response about prolonged heating of the hard oils and wonder if I jumped the gun a bit.

I usually get the dry crumbly edges when I pour before a stable emulsion, or I haven't mixed in an additive well.

You mentioned a crockpot; were these HP or CP?

I usually get the dry crumbly edges when I pour before a stable emulsion, or I haven't mixed in an additive well.

You mentioned a crockpot; were these HP or CP?
Cold Process but I keep my oils warming in a crockpot so I can be slightly less chaotic and messy when I get to pouring. (I am a bit of a disaster naturally, soaping only accentuates this side of me)

I did a batch the day before that was CPOP and wondered if that was crumbly because of the OP. But, I am not letting the crockpot warm long enough, I think. Like a kid in the candy shop, just getting too excited.

I’m sorry about the colorant issues and whatever is causing the soap to be a little crumbly. On the other hand, I think that soap is absolutely gorgeous. I love the colors and the swirl you achieved.

When you say you used the watercolor technique, are you talking about the approach where you layer the soap in the mold and then spoon it back out into another mold?

Hi, beautiful colors, swirls. How soon did you unmold/ cut?
24 hours.

I’m sorry about the colorant issues and whatever is causing the soap to be a little crumbly. On the other hand, I think that soap is absolutely gorgeous. I love the colors and the swirl you achieved.

When you say you used the watercolor technique, are you talking about the approach where you layer the soap in the mold and then spoon it back out into another mold?
Yes, that is the one - I am very new to soaping so I could be mixed up about the name.

Latest posts

Back