cost of tallow

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was receiving fat trimmings for free. Well this miserable man at the market that looks at me as though he would love to see me dead was the only one there last week. He said he had some and went to package it. Now the butcher and all other employees charge me zero for it. They're all so friendly and welcoming. This guy I've seen for yrs there, and he glares every freaking week I show. I smile and say hi! How ya doin! In all southern charm and he glares and walks off. Creaper.

So anyway, this guy charged me the cost of "soup bones". I didn't buy bones, I bought fat trimmings. Seeing as I got them free to begin with, I'm not one to whine too much about it. Well the receipt was quote 1@2/8.00 bf soup bones. It rendered down exactly 1 lb cleaned tallow.

So 4.50$/lb for tallow. If they continue charging me now, is this a reasonable cost? I went to essential depot and they are 7$ and change for 32 oz, but they had over 16$ shipping. So I didn't think it was a fair comparison. I heading there now and didn't know if I should get it at 4.50 or not. Thx for the insight!

Check out Soaper's Choice. They have it for 1.65 a lb but of course that doesn't count shipping. It's 11.55 for 7 lbs.

That's a bummer that now they want to charge you.

$4.50 is crazy! You can buy the meat for that or less!!! He was just taking you for a ride. I get soup bones for $1-2 a pound and those have good amounts of meat on them as well. Looks like you have to wait for the butchers who don't hate you to be back.

Soaper's Choice has Tallow for 86 cents a pound in the 50 pound cube, all rendered and packaged. THe shipping will depend on how far you are from Chicago but you could compare with someplace more local. Even so, clearly beef fat is not normally 4 dang dollars a pound.

Does anyone use the tallow at smart & final? I have not, but saw it recently and made my husband take a pic. It's very inexpensive but contains a preservative.

jblaney said:
Does anyone use the tallow at smart & final? I have not, but saw it recently and made my husband take a pic. It's very inexpensive but contains a preservative.

My Smart & Final sells beef tallow, too. I haven't bought any yet because I'm still using up the tallow I bought elsewhere, but once that is gone, I will think I shall buy it from there.

To the OP- I would do what Newbie said- hold off on buying any fat trimmings until the nice butchers are there to wait on you.

IrishLass :)

Mission accomplished! Asked for trimmings, the cutting butcher was there and I got this! Thinking it should render to a good 5 solid lbs or so.

The mean guy saw and sneered. He looked so mad and I was nice as pie. I said if they charge it's cool, I may find cheaper elsewhere and just need to know the cost. He overheard and was so mad looking, and I wondered if he thought I was getting him into trouble or something.

Honestly, Kroger employs mentally and physically disabled. I don't know if he has a handicap and is rude looking towards patrons because he has, say, a form of social anxiety or is on the autism spectrum. It may be anxiety and not anger, but boy he shoots bullets out his eyes.

So this holiday season, he shall receive my biggest and prettiest soap when I deliver them to all the butchers for being so kind to me with the free tallow:) he needs the kindness probably the most.

IMAG2331.jpg

IMAG2332.jpg

Wow, that guy needs a Coke and a Smile.

That is way too much to pay, as everyone else has said. Wait until there are nicer people there or order from soaper's choice. I have never ordered the organic grass fed overpriced tallow from essential depot because to me that is absurd to pay that much money.

We don't have Smart and Final where I live, but if we did I would absolutely buy tallow there. As for the preservative, I don't know what the ingredient list says but my guess it is actually what we soapers would call an antioxidant, like what is used in store bought lard. It is used in a very tiny amount to help extend shelf life and stave off rancidity. In fact, if I am not mistaken, it may one of the ingredients that Kevin Dunn recommends to prevent DOS.

So embrace it! Use the tallow!

lionprincess, another option for you may be the Great Value brand shortening at walmart. NOT the vegetable shortening, just shortening. It's a blend of mostly tallow and some palm, there is a sap value for it on soapcalc. It's a little over 2.5lbs for around $3-4, still a lot less than you paid!

eta: took me too long to type AGAIN, glad you got the tallow

Smother him with niceness, even if he is mean and gives you daggers. I would deffo give him some soap at Christmas. I often find that eventually people give in if you refuse to accept their hostility.

Dude, whether he is a hater or not isn't relevant--the important thing is you're being charged for stuff they would normally throw away, and charged a fair amount. Once you walk out the door with your dirt-cheap trimmings, someone's smile/lack of smile shouldn't matter.
But...
They are overcharging, and I say this as someone who spends $5/lb for local rendered tallow made from Louisiana grass-fed, organic, hand-massaged, champagne-suckled, blahdeeblah beef. I'm willing to pay through the nose for the swanky imprimatur and the local connection and the alleviating of guilt because the cows don't come from Big Meat, and also for the convenience of not having to render my own tallow.
But you aren't getting these benefits AND you're getting attitude AND paying for it ... pffft. PM me if you're interested in high-end Southern fat.I might could set up a deal with my tattooed butcher boys.

Mission accomplished! Asked for trimmings, the cutting butcher was there and I got this! Thinking it should render to a good 5 solid lbs or so.

The mean guy saw and sneered. He looked so mad and I was nice as pie. I said if they charge it's cool, I may find cheaper elsewhere and just need to know the cost. He overheard and was so mad looking, and I wondered if he thought I was getting him into trouble or something.

Honestly, Kroger employs mentally and physically disabled. I don't know if he has a handicap and is rude looking towards patrons because he has, say, a form of social anxiety or is on the autism spectrum. It may be anxiety and not anger, but boy he shoots bullets out his eyes.

So this holiday season, he shall receive my biggest and prettiest soap when I deliver them to all the butchers for being so kind to me with the free tallow:) he needs the kindness probably the most.

YEs!:thumbup:

Wow, that is alot to pay..glad you got it for free..I'll have to go check my Kroger guys and see if I can get it free too :lol:

I just bought around 10 lbs or so at HEB, and it cost roughly a bit over a buck a pound.

I did a first render today so not sure how many lbs I'll get in the final tally

Wow, that is alot to pay..glad you got it for free..I'll have to go check my Kroger guys and see if I can get it free too :lol:

I just bought around 10 lbs or so at HEB, and it cost roughly a bit over a buck a pound.

I did a first render today so not sure how many lbs I'll get in the final tally

When you render it let us know what you got out of the 10 lbs :wave:

And this reminds me, I need to hit my local butcher up this week. They give me as much as I want, all I have to do is call in the a.m. and they will save all the trimmings for the day. I get pig fat and beef fat at no cost.. takes a good two days to render but worth it. Guess I should make a special batch for my guys to show appreciation to the friendliness they have all shown me over the past few months

Wow, that guy needs a Coke and a Smile.

That is way too much to pay, as everyone else has said. Wait until there are nicer people there or order from soaper's choice. I have never ordered the organic grass fed overpriced tallow from essential depot because to me that is absurd to pay that much money.

We don't have Smart and Final where I live, but if we did I would absolutely buy tallow there. As for the preservative, I don't know what the ingredient list says but my guess it is actually what we soapers would call an antioxidant, like what is used in store bought lard. It is used in a very tiny amount to help extend shelf life and stave off rancidity. In fact, if I am not mistaken, it may one of the ingredients that Kevin Dunn recommends to prevent DOS.

So embrace it! Use the tallow!

lionprincess, another option for you may be the Great Value brand shortening at walmart. NOT the vegetable shortening, just shortening. It's a blend of mostly tallow and some palm, there is a sap value for it on soapcalc. It's a little over 2.5lbs for around $3-4, still a lot less than you paid!

eta: took me too long to type AGAIN, glad you got the tallow

What is the GV shortening listed as in soap calc ?

Lionprincess, I think you're right. Some folks need kindness more than others, and it can often be a challenge to give them what they need instead of what they deserve. But I figure that I feel better staying nice than I would if I didn't. So it's really just selfish on my part... the being nice.

Glad you got your trimmings! You get +10 soaping cred from rendering your own tallow. ;)

Back