coloring with high-ph micas

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heartsong

Reaction score
i have been using www.tkbtrading.com high ph micas to color my soaps going on i think 5 months, and i love them!

they have 100+ colors, and a $1.50 sample will color 4-5 lbs of soap. i usually use 1/8-1/4 tsp ppo, but have added more with no problem. this makes it very economical!

tho you do not get the glitter and sheen like you do in m/p soaps, you get strong true colors that don't morph.

your finished soap's natural color and whether you gel or don't gel plays a signicant role in how your color turns out. also fragrance oils can play a major role in determining the outcome of your color. (that's why it pays to research your f/o!)

with that in mind, i thought i'd share my coloring experiences with you.

you can add directly to your oils before soaping for a solid colored soap or mix with a little oil and mix in to your soap batter for swirls.

the satin low sheen white mica is about 50% titanium dioxide and i add 1 tsp ppo to increase the whiteness of my soap-you can add more for a very white bar.

all mica colors are blendable to increase your color range.

the silver micas give you varying shades of grays

the gold micas give you shades from light cream to dark ivory.

i only use a tiny bit of black mica if i want a darker color blue, green or brown. be careful how you use this!

i use activated charcoal capsuls (healthfood stores) for black.

the reds will give you varying shades of pink, rose, raspberry and magenta.

the "pop" colors are very intense and fun! (awesome!)

the white "tinted micas" really don't show up.

be aware that the dark colors (like brown and navy) are very deep.

all the rest of the blues, greens, yellows and oranges are wonderful and can be a tint or a stronger color, depending on how much you use.

on most of the colors, i would say that 1/2 tsp ppo would be the very upper limit. i've seldom had to use that much, except for very pale colors.

hope this might help those of us that need a little less drama in their lives! :shock:

Thank you for posting this Monet .Mine are on the way , I just got the email from them , can't wait to try them

I wanted to tell you that I truly appreciate all the fantastic information you post for all of us here .

Thank You :!:

x

thanks-i try to help when i can!

i don't know of anything more frustrating than having your colors "weirding out" in soap!

i know there are other types of color systems out there, i didn't want to invest a fortune making my little soapies.

many of us an't afford $50 + for a few colors, especially during our experimental stage.

i like just buying the samples so you can see what colors you like, instead of having costly bottles and jars of colors that just weren't "it" gathering dust on my selves.

Thanks heartsong! That is some good info. I have not tied any of their products...maybe I will now:)

x

one thing i should mention, colors blended into your oils with be much more intense than after you soap.

so don't be alarmed, as they lighten up as it becomes soap.

Thanks, Heartsong!

Now I can leave my Bare Minerals Makeup and Eyeshadow out of my soap! :lol:

Monet - thank you!!! Here in Australia we have just had a supplier stock the pop micas, so I have grape and raspberry to try now. I was only contemplating today just how much do I need to use of the grape to colour a soap batch to a lavender shade?.....now I can proceed with much greater confidence. You are awesome!!!

Tanya :)

Back