coloring soy wax

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mune

Amanda Leanne
Reaction score
Ok, searched all over and did not see this sooooo....

How do you make dark and jewel toned soy wax candles? I am in love with the soy and got a great deal on ALOT of wax, so it is the only kind I will be usuing for a while. But using different color chips, I still only get pastels or maybe like a darker pastel. I would like to make royal blue, forest green, etc. Any suggestions? And is red even a possibility with soy? Thanks ladies!

I don't know a lot about waxing but l bought the dye in the bottle for my soy tarts and boy oh boy one drop and you have lots of color.Maybe thats the way to go instead of using dye blocks or chips.

I will try the liquid then. Is their a certain type or brand? I had some liquid that said it was for candles and it just beaded up in the wax.

because soy is so opaque, it takes a lot of colorant to get past the inherant whiteness of the wax.

if you add a lot of color it may change your wicking, so keep that in mind.

I prefer to use dye chips to liquid in my soy candle making. I use the reddiglo dye chips from Candle Science. One chip per lb of wax will make a brilliant color. If you want a lighter color the chips are diamond shaped making them easy to cut in half or quarters. I also love the consistency of the color when making several batches of candles. Another perk is that the dye chips eliminate frosting so you have a nice creamy smooth candle.

I only use my liquid dyes now for making parrafin or palm wax candles.

Latest posts

Back