colored lather?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rszuba

Reaction score
sometimes i read about people adding ing. to soap and then the question comes about whether the lather will be affected(the color).

i made a charcoal soap, for hunters to get rid of scent and the lather is kinda black. is that a bad thing. i want the activated charcoal to make a distinct impact. pull out odor, or rid odor and toxins.

thanks,
renee

Colored lather won't hurt anything except, perhaps, a washcloth. It may stain that.

I made some with a red oxide, and the lather and rinse water from that soap makes the shower look like the infamous Bates Motel in Psycho.

rszuba said:
sometimes i read about people adding ing. to soap and then the question comes about whether the lather will be affected(the color).

i made a charcoal soap, for hunters to get rid of scent and the lather is kinda black. is that a bad thing. i want the activated charcoal to make a distinct impact. pull out odor, or rid odor and toxins.

thanks,
renee
well charcoal in a soap isn't going to do that for you, but regardless it is one of the few colorants of its type that don't greatly impact the color of the lather.

charcoal can purify air or water - but only if they flow through it.

carebear said:
rszuba said:

thanks,
renee
well charcoal in a soap isn't going to do that for you, but regardless it is one of the few colorants of its type that don't greatly impact the color of the lather.

charcoal can purify air or water - but only if they flow through it.

I disagree... nothing needs to flow through charcoal (aka activated carbon) in order for it to purify the air or water. it will purify it (albeit not as homogenously) when stagnant. True there are applications where it is set up to flow through it such as in Reverse osmosis water purification systems or in carbon scrubbers (used in the controlled environmental agriculture industry)

The reason that charcoal purifies is because charcoal is mainly made of carbon. Carbon is a molecule with 4 covalent bonding sites available to bond with other molecules, and it will bond with nearly anything. It is by bonding with molecules that it changes their structure, composition and as an end result their nature. I do believe it would have this effect regardless of its applcation. (obviously the effect will be more potent if its ingested or applied topically in pure form).

made a charcoal soap, for hunters to get rid of scent and the lather is kinda black. is that a bad thing. i want the activated charcoal to make a distinct impact. pull out odor, or rid odor and toxins.

I believe this soap will be an excellent option for assisting in the removal of the harsh scents of the outdoors from the hands and bodies of hunters, gardeners, mechanic etc....

It is not bad that the lather is kind of black... (and I use this instance only for charcoal...if you use micas etc... then they can stain ...charcoal does not seem to have this effect.)

All of that being said... I feel a little responsible for starting this whole movement on the forum of using charcoal in soaps since i started posting about it waaaay back when (re: the story about monkey stealing charcoal from islanders due to a toxic diet and why i want to use it in soaps etc...) ... should anyone have any questions about its use I have a quite a bit of experience with it, and would be happy to help, feel free to PM me.

thanks for that info SCIANCE GUY.(i think that is going to be your new name, you walking encyclopedia)

My husband and kids and friends are so into hunting and fishing that if i can come up with a market for them , whew, it would be great. dh spends lot of dough on hunting equip. (makes good excuse for my soap supply budget, and if i make for hunting he likes).

the whole scent cover thing is so big. i will make just plain soap too, i make spruce(he loves). i know some peoples opions on hunting soap is no scent is better, because you can never fool them deer anyway, but thought i wuld give blk chcl thing a try.

going to do the anise fisherman thing tooo, even though i can't really understand it.

no worries, glad i could help :)....

also another one you might want to try is coffee.. i have heard of a lot of people saving the grinds from after they make coffee and using it in soap as both a scent mask and a scrubby-additive ...works real nice...

Latest posts

Back